21 Things a Burglar Won't Tell You

Page 2 of 6

John wrote:

Chuckle. Last time I had my security clearance renewed, the lady going over the form I filled out asked why I had left the section about neighbors' names and phone numbers blank. I told her about what you said, above. Damned if I know who they are.
-- aem sends...

That sounds like a group of vigilantes run amok. You mean if I'm walking down your street just for a walk, I may get run off? Is that not a good enough reason? Should I bring my gun or my lawyer specializing in Constitutional rights?

We are a mile down a dead end road. If you decide this is the place to take a walk, expect a lot of people to be watching you. If you are a neighbor, you might be invited in for a cold drink and make a new friend. We have lost the idea of "neighbors" these days in a lot of places. I am glad I don't live in one of them. Our community association goes out of it's way to meet and greet anyone who moves here but we also notice strangers.

Sounds like a nice quiet place to walk. I don't mind being noticed, but challenged and run off would create quite a stir from me. You could also be sure I'd be back and that you'd not be happy to see me and my friends.

You sound like a trouble maker...damn all you quiet walkers!!! ;-)
Cheri

If your "friends" are a gang of thugs we would ALL meet some cops.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

public right-of-way, I'd be back WITH the cops. In fact, if I carried a cell phone, and was in an area where they were likely to respond within an hour, I'd invite them to drop by right then. (Modulo the common-sense exception of never argue with somebody holding a shotgun, of course.)
-- aem sends...
aemeijers wrote:

Then the cops might drag YOU away.
From another group:
--- begin quote
Bob Dylan ("Blowin' in the Wind") was moseying around the neighborhood adjacent to the baseball stadium in Lakewood, NJ where he was appearing in concert with John Mellencamp ("Freedom's Road") and Willie Nelson (IRS).
Local cops get a call at 5 p.m. that some aged, disheveled, possibly Communist, hippie is wandering around loose, scaring the folk.
Cop responds, asks Dylan for ID. Dylan doesn't have any.
Backup unit arrives.
Still no ID.
Dylan put in patrol car and whisked away.
Neighborhood folks relieved.
http://apnews.myway.com/article/20090815/D9A334600.html
Gee, I wish my neighborhood cops were that much on the ball.
"After news broke that music legend Bob Dylan was picked up by a New Jersey cop who failed to recognize him, President Barack Obama has invited the duo to the White House for what aides are calling a 'bong summit.' "
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/andy-borowitz/obama-invites-dylan-cop-t_b_260369.html
--- end quote

The neighborhood watch coordinator at the local police station said we should feel free to call them if anyone was walking around looking suspicious to us and he would send a guy with a badge to ask them who they were. I more prefer the friendly introduction and see what they have to say. It has never escalated to a confrontation but a few shady folks have gone away and not come back. If someone does look shady I might take a picture of them. If they come to my door I already have a picture, usually 2. One in the driveway and one at the door.
wrote in message

Your "rights" to walk on a public sidewalk are even restricted, in case you didn't know.
Steve

So it is in my community of 1200.
Steve
On Sep 7, 2:04pm, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

My housemate insists on leaving his window open about 8" because I have a pair of stops installed on each side, so window can't be opened further -- in theory.
I don't know what the big deal is about closing window when he's at work, but hesitate to keep pounding at the issue, though I am nervous.
I think I will share with him the item above about making a noise and pausing for a reaction -- which burglar of course wouldn't get when neither of us is at home.
If the burglar doesn't get a reaction, he could just use the classic glass cutter, pry out the window stops, and away we go. Housemate would get robbed -- BUT SO WOULD I !!!!
This is supposed to be a nice quiet neighborhood -- but my next-door neighbor was recently broken into, apparently without objection on the part of their dogs!
Your comments?

Depends if you have baggy pants or if you're wearing an adult diaper.
Five law enforcement officers live on my street. The 3 retired are around everyday.
I corrected four hoodlums one day, even made the smart-ass mouth bastard pick up his cigarette butt off the street.
You get to know who belongs and those that don't.

Two men parked on the vacant lot behind my house. They proceeded to break into my house. My neighbors saw them. She called 911, and he got his shotgun. He came over and apprehended one of the men who chose to lay down, the other ran off. Left his truck. Police came.
They had to huddle, because my neighbor was not on HIS property. They had to decide whether or not to arrest him. The supervisor took the pump shotgun and jacked all the shells on the ground and said, "We cannot arrest this man because the gun was not loaded." He did give my neighbor a strong talking to explaining about where his legal boundary was.
The one who ran off had long black hair and a beard. By the time the police found him through his DMV records, he was bald and shaven. Didn't match the description, so no arrest. The other one went up for a few years. They had burglarized several homes in the area, and some with people in them.
I can live with vigilantism when it comes to citizens actively protecting themselves. And BTW, yes, you can come for a walk on my lane. Bring your gun, too. We may just do some target shooting. That is, unless you come sneaking around at night,. Then bring your gun, and a thick copy of the Constitution and put it in the pocket in front of your heart, and have your bottomfeeder lawyer walk point for you.
If you want to come visit, yer welcome. If you want to test the waters, you may get wet.
Steve

Florida just changed their self defense law and extended the right to use deadly force to repel imminent threat to anywhere you have a legal right to be.
On Tue, 08 Sep 2009 01:37:15 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

TALLAHASSEE Florida's "stand your ground" law allows the use of deadly force for self-protection even if an attacker or intruder is in retreat, an appellate court said Wednesday. (8/20/09)
A three-judge panel of the 1st District Court of Appeal issued that explanation for releasing Jimmy Hair from jail last month. Hair had spent two years awaiting trial on a first-degree murder charge.
http://www.tampabay.com/incoming/article1029170.ece
on 9/8/2009 6:40 PM (ET) Oren wrote the following:

Just as a little tidbit. Last week, I went to the Orange County, NY, County Office building to renew my vehicle registration. On the same floor as the MV office, there is a small room where pistol permits applications are issued. There was a line of about 10 people there, both male and female. First time I have ever seen anyone in line there.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
willshak wrote:

Try to buy ammo in Fl. Very hard to find certain some types. Walmart is usually out. Some folks are buying .22 long rifle to use as money when it may become necessary.

from the article; The new law amended Florida's existing "Castle Doctrine" that allows people to use deadly force to defend themselves and others in their homes against the threat of death or great bodily harm.
It extends that right to public spaces including the street or a business and removes a duty to retreat before using deadly force.
BTW,Florida allows guns in cars without a permit,providing the gun is "securely encased";meaning it can be in a closed glovebox or center console with shut lid. It cannot be merely tucked under a seat,ie;"readily available".

One thing many people don't realize;legal permit holders are the LAST people one needs to fear;they have an excellent record established over several years.The level of permit revocations,in every state that allows carry permits,for ALL reasons,is miniscule.THEY aren't the ones committing crimes,or threatening/endangering people.
Police are more law-breaking than concealed carry permit holders.
Criminals prefer unarmed victims. Police are never around when you truly need them.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Many years ago, in Florida, you had to "retreat to the wall". That meant no offensive shooting. It was a last resort, before you shot.

Florida allowed weapon carry in a vehicle years ago. The idea was to not punish those that carried under the "concealed weapons law". Find a gun in the glove or trunk you went the jail.-*
Eventually, a loaded weapon (pistol) would be carried in the zippered case (leather and lamb wool). You could place the case anywhere as long as a "reasonable and prudent" law enforcement knew/could see it. No more charge of "concealed weapon".
Everglades National park rangers told me to put my pistol in the tackle box. Yeah okay.
Gators might attack your boat or eat you fish.