21 Things a Burglar Won't Tell You

Page 1 of 6

13 Things a Burglar Won't Tell You http://www.rd.com/your-america-inspiring-people-and-stories/slideshow-13-things-a-burglar-wont-tell-you/article163491.html
1. Of course I look familiar. I was here just last week cleaning your carpets, painting your shutters, or delivering your new refrigerator.
2. Hey, thanks for letting me use the bathroom when I was working in your yard last week. While I was in there, I unlatched the back window to make my return a little easier.
3. Love those flowers. That tells me you have taste and taste means there are nice things inside. Those yard toys your kids leave out always make me wonder what type of gaming system they have.
4. Yes, I really do look for newspapers piled up on the driveway. And I might leave a pizza flyer in your front door to see how long it takes you to remove it.
5. If it snows while youre out of town, get a neighbor to create car and foot tracks into the house. Virgin drifts in the driveway are a dead giveaway.
6. If decorative glass is part of your front entrance, dont let your alarm company install the control pad where I can see if its set. That makes it too easy.
7. A good security company alarms the window over the sink. And the windows on the second floor, which often access the master bedroomand your jewelry. Its not a bad idea to put motion detectors up there too.
8. Its raining, youre fumbling with your umbrella, and you forget to lock your doorunderstandable. But understand this: I dont take a day off because of bad weather.
9. I always knock first. If you answer, Ill ask for directions somewhere or offer to clean your gutters. (Dont take me up on it.)
10. Do you really think I wont look in your sock drawer? I always check dresser drawers, the bedside table, and the medicine cabinet.
11. Heres a helpful hint: I almost never go into kids rooms.
12. Youre right: I wont have enough time to break into that safe where you keep your valuables. But if its not bolted down, Ill take it with me.
13. A loud TV or radio can be a better deterrent than the best alarm system. If youre reluctant to leave your TV on while youre out of town, you can buy a $35 device that works on a timer and simulates the flickering glow of a real television. (Find it at faketv.com.)
8 More Things a Burglar Won't Tell You http://www.rd.com/living-healthy/article-8-more-things-a-burglar-wont-tell-you/article156681.html
1. Sometimes, I carry a clipboard. Sometimes, I dress like a lawn guy and carry a rake. I do my best to never, ever look like a crook.
2. The two things I hate most: loud dogs and nosy neighbors.
3. Ill break a window to get in, even if it makes a little noise. If your neighbor hears one loud sound, hell stop what hes doing and wait to hear it again. If he doesnt hear it again, hell just go back to what he was doing. Its human nature. 4. Im not complaining, but why would you pay all that money for a fancy alarm system and leave your house without setting it?
5. I love looking in your windows. Im looking for signs that youre home, and for flat screen TVs or gaming systems Id like. Ill drive or walk through your neighborhood at night, before you close the blinds, just to pick my targets.
6. Avoid announcing your vacation on your Facebook page. Its easier than you think to look up your address.
7. To you, leaving that window open just a crack during the day is a way to let in a little fresh air. To me, its an invitation.
8. If you dont answer when I knock, I try the door. Occasionally, I hit the jackpot and walk right in.
G. Morgan wrote:

http://www.rd.com/your-america-inspiring-people-and-stories/slideshow-13-things-a-burglar-wont-tell-you/article163491.html
http://www.rd.com/living-healthy/article-8-more-things-a-burglar-wont-tell-you/article156681.html
Nice post. I especially like #3 of the second set. I don't know how many times I've been working in the yard, hear something out of place, stop, listen for a few moments then go back to what I was doing 'cause I don't hear it again.
The bit about the pizza flyer is something I'd never heard about before. Funny thing is, we never use the front door, in fact, can't even open it without moving a bunch of plants. I've had flyers & such stuck in my front door for months - never gave it a second thought. Good thing we always set our alarm when we leave.

On 6 how does having an alarm pad visable make it easy. How about the pro looking painting crew that shows up, but they are not there to paint, lock your ladders and gates.

Missed this part, didja? "... where I can see if it's set"

don't they have LEDs indicating "armed" ?? red(for armed) or green (unarmed)LEDs?
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Yes. Seeing red may be a bit of a deterrent, but you certainly don't want them to see green if you are not home or you are sleeping

    That has a lot of good information in it, but it is also good to keep in mind that many burglars are just stupid and don't read the how to book.
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

It also depends on the pedigree of your thief, which is dependent upon their intended mark. Around here, we mostly get crank addicts looking for a quick grab. Other parts of the country, the thieves are more professional.
A few years ago here locally a woman got some jewelery swiped. She was mowing her lawn, and left the door unlocked while she was mowing/weeding/cleaning up. Thief walked by, said, "Hi!", then when she went to the other side of the house just walked in a took what he wanted.
I lock the door now when I mow the lawn.
Jon
On Mon, 7 Sep 2009 09:03:29 -0700, "Jon Danniken"

This is what happens when you don't know your neighbors and look out for each other. Strangers walking around our neighborhood get challenged and usually get run off if they don't have a good reason for being there. They will at least get some extra scrutiny and the cops will have a good description of the suspect. "Neighborhood watch" will be an armed response.
> This is what happens when you don't know your neighbors and look out

that effective against burglary. Sure, when I look out to see if the mail or newspaper has been delivered, the garbage has been picked up, go out to retrieve those items, or I open the garage door to leave the house, I scan the neighbors' homes I can see for a few seconds to be a good neighbor. But realistically, how many minutes out of the week does that add up to? I've got enough of a life that I don't post myself at a window out of boredom, pretending to be on a stake-out. We don't live on Wisteria Lane!
On Mon, 07 Sep 2009 14:27:27 -0400, " snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net"

I have to ask. Why did you tippy-toe?
Oren wrote:

How is "I walked very quietly, cautiously and slowly"? :o)
On Mon, 07 Sep 2009 19:02:32 -0400, " snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net"

Oh, I was thinking more like "move and your dead!" being yelled out.

Don't forget to precede that with, "It was a dark and stormy night ............."

LOL

SHHHHHH! I am hunting wobbers.
--
Searching is half the fun: life is much more manageable when thought
of as a scavenger hunt as opposed to a surprise party.

When I was living "on campus" away at cawlij, we had a spate of B&E. Turned out the local gang was making their newbies and stereos and games were quick-and-easy scores from easily entered apartments. One day my neighbor, a "retired" senior from the local semi-pro team due to his knees, caught a couple of them since his day consisted of not much beyond sitting on the porch and watching daylight turn to dusk. That single incident seemed to end the B&Es for the rest of my stay in that 'hood.
Our first house, we moved in to a neighborhood surrounded by gangs but our street and a street front and back of us were stronger than the Walls of Rome because the Old Guard that watched kept them at bay. I never felt so safe as when we lived in that house. We recently went back to show it off to my daughter-units... It's transforemd; and not the same.
I'd take a street filled with retirees over the ebb-and-flow of transients that make up the majority of home-owners today.
The Ranger
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

In my suburban neighborhood, the turnover is quite high. Aside from my immediate neighbors that are adjacent to my property, I have absolutely no idea what my neighbors look like.
If a truck pulled up and emptied out a house, I'd think that someone (whoever they might be) was moving. I wouldn't even think of calling the police.
People throw advertising crap on the driveways before long weekends and no one picks them up. Good way of finding out if someone has gone for the weekend.
Welcome to the new mobile America.

When I saw a trailer backed up to my neighbor's house with a strange vehicle towing it, I went over there. I was either going to meet a new neighbor or we were all going to meet a cop. It turned out to be the original neighbor with a new truck. They were happy I was concerned. We had a rash of car burglaries a while ago. We made the effort to catch him and the crook went to jail. The cops are basically useless if the neighbors are not looking out for themselves.

I live at the end of about half a mile of dirt road. That road turns in directions three right angles before you get to my place. On either side of that road is barbed wire grazing pastures. I like it out here. If anyone is on the road, they have to come to the front of the house. If anyone parks anywhere else, it's a red flag. It's all posted private property and no hunting. I can look from our little town up the hill and see 3/4 mile to my house and see if there is anybody at my house. If there is, there is no way for them to go anywhere except back down the road they came in on, and they'd have to get past me.
Last night, my neighbor was out in his orchard chasing deer away. He had one of those bright lights. I just called him on his cell, and verified who he was, and went back to bed. I have thousands of acres of public lands around me, most of if inaccessible because of lava fields and steep deep ravines. I get an occasional lost ATVer, the meter readers, UPS, FedEx, and some REALLY lost people, but that's it. Except for coyotes all night, kit foxes, eagles, red tails, quail, roadrunners, deer, dove, jack and cottontail rabbits, and all manner of birds. Did I say I love it out here?
For anyone, a nosy neighbor is about the best thing to have. After that, a mean looking dog, good lighting, and a lot of the measures mentioned in the original post. Living out in the middle of nowhere helps, too.
Steve