20amp GFCI outlet on a 15amp circuit. melted wires

I agree with everything that you say... I was just pointing out that saying that someone installed the wrong GFCI because it's "20 AMP" isn't necessarily a true statement. Most GFCIs w/ NEMA 5-15R receptacle(s) are still rated @ 20A because 5-15Rs are permitted on a

20A circuit and it is often convenient to use a GFCI recep as the first one in a "string" rather than using a GFCI breaker. But if it has a true NEMA 5-20R recep then it was the wrong device but not the cause of the problem.

nate

Reply to
N8N

I agree with everything that you say... I was just pointing out that saying that someone installed the wrong GFCI because it's "20 AMP" isn't necessarily a true statement.

** When it's installed on a 15 amp circuit, it's a correct statement. When an electrical receptacle is referred to as 15, 20, 30 amp, etc. the reference is being made to the devices configuration, not it's pass through capacity

Most GFCIs w/ NEMA 5-15R receptacle(s) are still rated @ 20A because 5-15Rs are permitted on a

20A circuit and it is often convenient to use a GFCI recep as the first one in a "string" rather than using a GFCI breaker. But if it has a true NEMA 5-20R recep then it was the wrong device but not the cause of the problem.

nate

Reply to
RBM

You're assuming that the OP is using the same conventions and terminology that you do. I haven't seen yet where he specified. Irrelevant anyway as when was the last time you saw a hair dryer with a 20A plug? nate

Reply to
N8N

You're certainly welcome to believe what you want, but you can't have your own set of facts. Sorry.

That's why we replaced the oven. Four zones wasn't enough to do RoHS reliably. The RoHS process really is that tricky to do right.

You should learn something about the subject before spouting such nonsense. Your continued defense is telling, though.

Reply to
krw

You've been making a living on RoHS soldering for 30 years? Somehow I doubt that. You obviously know *nothing* about the subject.

Reply to
krw

Because you haven't got any. You're simply wrong and are now in too deep to admit it.

You have a reputation of an idiot. I happen to be right.

I happen to be right. You're completely clueless if you don't think there is a difference between RoHS and lead processes. Ovens matter!

You misspelled "can't".

Then why did you indicate that you had 30 years of relevant experience? Because you're talking through you ass. Not hard, since that's where your head is.

Don't run away mad. Next time talk about something you have at least a passing knowledge of.

Reply to
krw