200amp service feed

Just a quick question. New service...200a meter to 200a service panel underground in sch 80 pvc conduit. What size and type of wire ( ie 4/0-4/0-2/0 )?
Thanks in advance.

Since it's underground I'll assume the meter base isn't on the opposite side of the wall from the panel so how long will this cable be?
Steve.
150 feet
SteveF wrote:

That wire size if not to long a run is fine for aluminum, copper would be 2/0 with a reduced neutral

Dave Herron wrote:

Call your power company and ask them. They supply the power from the pole to the meter base and you must follow their requirements. For other than power company supplied connections, consult your local building inspection department. Both will be very helpful. For example, in our area the meter base to panel distance is held to 5' or less. Underground service for residential must be in 2 1/2" conduit, commercial is 3" conduit. Galvanized sweeps ( 90 dgree turns) are required at the pole and meter base with adapters to the permitted PVC conduit. For all the aggravation of dealing with stubborn cable between the meter base and panel, consider hiring that part out. Of course, if this is not a primary service, other rules may apply. HTH
Joe
On 23 Jan 2007 07:07:38 -0800, "Dave Herron"

If this is residential the service lateral will be 4/0 aluminum or 2/0 copper. In commercial it will be 3/0 copper or 250kcmil aluminum. This might be made larger on a long run for voltage drop issues but I don't see that very often, particularly not in residential.
Dave Herron wrote:

Are you in North America? Well since your using American Wire gage sizing I will guess yes.
Is the wire we are discussing before or after the meter?
Is the service single phase residential only? -- Tom Horne

4/0-4/0-4/0 Aluminum will do. Not sure if the third cable needs to be a 4/0 but that is how the SER and SEU cables are bundled.
At 150 ft the voltage drop will be under 3% for 240v single phase service which is fine.
Buy some cable grease, pulling stiff cables in conduit is a pain, literally.
Steve.