20 amp dedicated circuit

Does a 20A circuit that has only one outlet on it require that the outlet be a specific type? I've seen

- | o

and assumed that it was for a dedicated 20A circuit.

Reply to
Charles Bishop

You may see it for a window air conditioner in a home or an air compressor in a shop. I put them in for refrigeration units. The receptacle does not have to be the single 20 amp 120 volt type, it could be a standard duplex receptacle if you want to change it. The 20 amp 120 volt single actually looks like the one on this page, it's a NEMA 5-20R:

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

You can use either a 15 amp or 20 amp receptacle on a 20 amp circuit

Reply to
RBM

... unless it is actually a single receptacle not a duplex.

Reply to
gfretwell

Reply to
RBM

Yes -- the type you show below.

Exactly so. If a 20A circuit has only one outlet, it must be a 20A outlet as shown. Note that a duplex receptacle is considered to be two outlets, and thus a 20A circuit is permitted to have a single 15A duplex receptacle.

Reply to
Doug Miller