2 way to 3 way?

Hi, is it possible to change a 2 way switch to a 3 way if the boxes are close to each other? Sounds silly, but the previous owner installed the switch to the basement on the hinge side of the door to downstairs. I have always had the basement lightswitch inside, at the top of the stairway. Rather than remove the switch in the kitchen which would involve patching another hole, I would like to add another switch on the other side of the wall inside the stairway. Is this possible? Thanks, Chas

I think that it's doable. You'll have to figure out how to rewire the switches. Three way switches require a 3 wire conductor from one to the other, so you'll have to put in a new line or add the equivalent of a single wire to the existing setup (and then rewire). MLD.
: Hi, is it possible to change a 2 way switch to a 3 way if the boxes are : close to each other? Sounds silly, but the previous owner installed the : switch to the basement on the hinge side of the door to downstairs. I have : always had the basement lightswitch inside, at the top of the stairway. : Rather than remove the switch in the kitchen which would involve patching : another hole, I would like to add another switch on the other side of the : wall inside the stairway. Is this possible? : Thanks, : Chas : : You would have to have two three-way switches to do that, plus adjust the wiring accordingly. One switch has hot to the common, two travelers to the other switch, and common of the other switch goes to the load. Why not instead just put in a switch where you want it to be, and then remove the switch and put a plate over the old switchbox and forget about it? They make plates with no openings in them just for that purpose.
HTH,
Pop
If, by two way, you mean that there are currently two switches that control the lights, and you want to add a third switch to control the same lights, what you are talking about is two three way switches and one four way switch. To do this you need to run a three wire cable (+ground) from one of the existing switches to the new location. Remove the existing three way switch and replace it with a four way switch and install the removed three way switch in the new location. If this is what you have in mind, repost and ask for the wiring specifics, for wiring two three ways and one four way

Thanks, no, I meant from a single poorly positioned switch to one good one and one stupid one. So it's single to 3 way I guess? Chas

In that case you need to run a three wire cable from existing switch to new switch location and install three way switches at each location

patching
the
Chas - how about Pop's idea to just move the switch and put a blank plate over the bad location? That is by far easiest. Use the same switch, just move the wires over to the new spot and reconnect. No muss, no fuss. Tomes
There are also electronic "remote" switches available. They won't require re-wireing.
For cheap type check with RadioShack or a big hardware/electrical type. For quality$ go to Lutron.com or Leviton.com.
Good luck RickR