2 Tiling Questions

Hi, amatuer tiler here looking for a couple tips.

#1. Three walls frame in a tub and I'm tiling up almost to the ceiling onto cement board. The back wall is tiled wall to wall (with small expansion gaps in the corners), so it's the side wall tile that will be seen in full while the side wall tile's edge will obsure the back tile only so far as the tile is thick. In other words, were it not for the expansion gap, the edge of the side wall tile would butt against the back wall tile face. My question is actually a simple one. For the gap between the edge of the sidewall tile and the face of the back wall tile, should I use grout or should I use caulking for fear this will be a more stressful expansion gap?

#2. I'm using 6" square tiles. Their surface has a rough character with small nooks and cranies. The edges are all blunted. Not smooth and not really rounded, but they look as if someone just chipped the hard edge off. I'm going with a staggered layout and will be cutting a lot of tiles. Is there an effect way to get this "chipped" edge look. I tried a grinder with a coarser wheel but it was slow going and made the edge too smooth. I also tried a general purpose woodworking tile but I'm having a hard time replicating the chipped effect. Is there a tool for this? A standard nipper seems far to big. Any ideas?

#3. Okay, so I lied. There's a third question I just thought of. I've been using drill bit rated for ceramic tile and glass, but even at low RPMs it's just not going through very well. I'm tyring to make a hole in the tile about 1 1/2" diamater, so I've got a lot of drilling to do to make the cut out. Are there any other tips for getting the most out of these "ceramic tile/glass" bits?

Thanks for any help or advice. I always appreciate the good info found in this newsgroup.

Jim

Reply to
jimrainfordson

Caulk

Nope

Hole saw:

RayV

Thanks RayV. I hate to spend $15 to cut a 88 cent tile, but I've already spent over half that on "ceramic" drill bits.

I've got about 40 cut tiles that are going to need to have the edge rounded and chipped. If I had thought it through I would have choosen a different tile. Whatever I come up with, I've got a bad feeling it's going to be tedious and time consuming.

Thanks again.

Jim

Reply to
jimrainfordson

You are planning to have these "chipped" edges exposed? Sounds like a bad choice for a shower.

Reply to
Norminn

Reply to
jimrainfordson