2-prong to 3-prong

Page 2 of 2

Marilyn & Bob wrote:

Same here in MI and in IN where I used to live- from late 50s to mid 60s, grounded romex and boxes with 2-hole outlets was quite common. Made converting the 2-hole outlets in this place easy- just made sure the copper wound around the romex under the clamp was shiny, the clamp was snug, and ground the outlet to the box. Magic outlet meter is happy. Yeah, I know current code regards that as borderline, but I wasn't about to try and unwind that 45 year old copper to run it to the screw on the outlet. It does get brittle. Putting the ground wire under the clamp was SOP by all the electricians when I was growing up watching them. They said it made for a less crowded box.
-- aem sends...
Add pictures here
✖
On Sep 1, 5:40 pm, macsimize_at_mac_dot snipped-for-privacy@foo.com (chuckferguson) wrote:

Did anybody else notice the first line of this post?
"I install home computers"
For who? Who would send out a technician that knows so little about the power/wiring requirements for the equipment he is charged with installing?
I smell a troll.
Add pictures here
✖
DerbyDad03 wrote:

Best Buy (among others) would. They don't pay very well and get what they pay for. My buddy's son worked for the local one when he graduated from college while he was looking for a real job. The kid is really sharp and went on to get a really good position and a reputable company. He said they got minimal training at BB which mostly consisted of how to push other stuff while they were doing an "expert" installation.

Add pictures here
✖

Best Buy owns/uses GeekSquad.
I could be wrong, but I don't the Squaders are pulling out wire cutters and cutting ground plugs off of power strips.
Let the GeekSquad horror stories commence.
Add pictures here
✖
On Mon, 01 Sep 2008 21:40:55 GMT, macsimize_at_mac_dot snipped-for-privacy@foo.com (chuckferguson) wrote:

Hell's bells! No offense, but I'm surprised you had to ask these questions.
FYI, no surge suppressor or battery backup manufacturer will honor their insurance policy, if the computer isn't properly connected to a properly wired circuit.
I live in a one hundred year old house, which has only a couple of properly wired circuits--and my computer gets one of them!
You asked, "...is this dangerous and if so how dangerous?" If I caught you doing a stunt like you described (and I would catch you), it would be quite dangerous.
DerbyDad03 suspects you of being a troll. I think he might be correct.
_________________________ Zildjian: world class cymbal of excellence.
Add pictures here
✖
On Sep 1, 5:40 pm, macsimize_at_mac_dot snipped-for-privacy@foo.com (chuckferguson) wrote:

Two prongs does not always mean no ground. In many old homes the outlets are connected via metal conduit which provides a ground. Without checking you can not be sure it is grounded even if it has a metal conduit.
Since there are so many variations around and in older homes there often are non-code wiring, I suggest that to be safe, either assume there is no ground, or have it professionally checked.
Add pictures here
✖