2-Prong Pendant Light int

Hi Gummbeey!

G > I would like to install an Ikea pendant light into my prewired ceiling (has G > 3 wires). G > G > The problem I'm having is that the pendant light has a 2-prong plug (no G > ground). My plan is to cut off the plug, and attach the 2 wires to the 2 G > wires in the ceiling. But will I get in trouble with building codes because G > I didnt use the ground wire? If I have to use the ground wire, how would I G > do that?

Black to black and white to white (ribbed lead), coil the ground wire out of the way. Generally plugged-in devices are made for temporary (non-permanent) service. I won't tell if you won't!

BTW, you might want to cut the plug so as to leave a foot or so of wire if possible. (The main concern here is to install your light.) If it is possible to leave some lead on the plug you could use it later as a test lead ==> wire it to whatever device you are checking and plug in.

  • Q: Why Pilgrims' pants fall down? A: Because wore belt buckles on their hat
Reply to
barry martin

If the lighting point is not dimmer controlled, you can install a receptacle in the ceiling, not violating the NEC or the UL lising of the fixture. If it is controlled by a dimmer, you are not allowed to install a receptacle.

Reply to
Gary Tait