2 low voltage transformers on 1 circuit?

Page 2 of 3
On 5/3/2008 9:27 AM peter spake thus:

"Not a common part"? I don't even know of anyone who makes such a thing (you're basically talking about a 1:1.3 step-up transformer, which so far as I know don't even exist, except perhaps in "Maybe-Land").
Anyhow, there are other solutions, as others have posted here.
conversation with the average voter.
On Sat, 03 May 2008 10:11:31 -0700, David Nebenzahl

http://www.phaseconverter.com/spbtransformer.html
metspitzer wrote:

That would require a primary feed on the "wrong" side of the driveway.
I thought the poster who proposed use of a transformer meant a step-up arrangement which, as another poster has already pointed out, would further load already overloaded wiring.

Only some are not as bright, id say its a light not voltage issue, bad connection, dirty lens, socket, bulb etc,
There has been some very good advice given here on this question. But, if there are no bad sockets or connections, and if the bulbs themselves aren't defective, then I think the simple solution to this problem is to simply install a very simple, low-cost booster transformer at the end of the line (or at the point where the voltage gets too low). See the link with the attachment. These small transformers are used when the voltage drop is too low at the end of a 12 volt line. If the voltage is say, 9 volts at the end of the line, this unit will boost it back up to 12 volts.
I am quite sure that Intermatic makes these as well.
James
begin 666 Kichler Lighting 15520BK No Family Association Black Material (Not Painted) Landscape 12V Transforme Compare Prices, View Pr.URL M6TEN=&5R;F5T4VAO<G1Cq=#0I54DP]:'1T<#HO+W=W=RYN97AT86<N8V]M M+TMI8VAL97(M3&EG:'1I;F<M,34U,C!"2RU.;RTU-S<V.#$V-C O<')I8V5S '+6AT;6P-"@`` ` end
Do the transformers supply AC or DC for the 12 volt power?
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Stormin Mormon wrote:

more will _always_ provide AC. Provision of DC requires what I would call a power supply, rather than a transformer.
Rarely would one go to the trouble to provide DC for lighting -- what's the benefit?
CJT wrote:

DC? Forgot about Edison vs. Tesla?
Tony Hwang wrote: ...

Hmmm...trying to recall who "won"...

Tesla won. You can read about it here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_of_Currents
Don Wiss wrote:

Hmmm...score zero for sarcasm, I guess... :(

Seems to me, Tesla won the first round, but when you compare their backers, Westinghouse and General Electric, Edison won the war

RBM wrote:

The technology of DC vis a vis AC for power distribution was the question, not the future state of pioneering companies, though...
Tony Hwang wrote:

No, but that was settled some time ago.

On this page it is clearly labeled DC Transformer: http://www.pegasusassociates.com/Elec300W12VDCTransformer.html

Less voltage drop over long distances and reduces radiated RFI.
Don Wiss wrote:

Maybe in a long haul high voltage transmission lines there might be a significant difference, but not in Malibu lighting. That's like citing skin effect in household wiring.

CJT wrote: ...

Unless, of course, input is DC... :)
dpb wrote:

Good point. Then it will provide smoke.
Pulsating DC goes through a transformer.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

But it would emerge (at the secondary) as (sorta) AC, strangely enough. So it is essentially AC (a degenerate case, only half the wave). Real DC cannot "go through" a transformer.
conversation with the average voter.