2 Lights connected to one switch - won't turn off

Here's the problem:

I have 2 lights in the same room connected to one light switch. I replaced both of them with new light fixtures, however when I put the fuse back in the lights come on but the light switch won't turn them off.

Both ceiling boxes have a black, white, and red wire coming out of them.

Both light fixtures have a black & white wire as well as the ground wire.

ANY IDEA ON HOW THESE SHOULD BE CONNECTED?

thank ya! chris

Reply to
cearle

To start with you should have followed the original wires.

Too late now. Ok Take a look at the switch box. What wires are there and which ones are connected to the switch.

Do either of the ceiling boxes have pairs of red/black/white/gound??

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Sure, but I ain't telling no clueless clown who just dives in and does stuff they know nothing about. Idiot.

Reply to
I-zheet M'drurz

Ignore this idiot's response. It it had a brain, it wouldn't know what to do with it. I thinnk it fell on its head when it was born. Its only value is in entertainment purposes when it posts.

Pop

light switch.

however when I

light switch

wire coming out

well as the

just dives in

plaisanterie

-------

line

Reply to
PopRivet

light switch. I

however when I put the

won't turn them

coming out of

well as the ground

Lights go in parallel. Switch goes in series.

BLK BLK BLK

--------0--/

0--------------0-------------------------- 0 o o

-------------------------------0-----------------------

Reply to
PopRivet

Why do you waste the bandwidth to post this tripe?

Do you think newsgroups are for smart asses?

Either answer a question or pass on posting!

Everyone who follows this group knows who the real idiot is.

I would answer but there have already been a couple of well written accurate responses.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

although i think we have different opinions about how hard it is to safely do any home wiring, im certainly not arguing the fact that electricity can be dangerous.

i thought just for kicks i would find out how many people died from electrocution. these were the only statistics i could find:

Estimated risk for an American over a 50-year period. Risk of death from botulism 1 in 2,000,000 Risk of death from fireworks 1 in 1,000,000 Risk of death from tornados 1 in 50,000 Risk of death from airplane crash 1 in 20,000 Risk of death from asteroid impact 1 in 20,000 Risk of death from electrocution 1 in 5,000 Risk of death from firearms accident 1 in 2,000 Risk of death from homicide 1 in 300 Risk of death from automobile accident 1 in 100

its kind of a scary thought that for every 4 people that get electrocuted, one gets killed by an asteroid!!

im not saying these figures mean too horribly much to the homeowner doing some repair, or much of anything really. just thought it was interesting about the asteroids.

randy

Reply to
xrongor

No one has ever died from an asteroid; so your statistics are rather odd. Last year a meteor (not an asteroid) hit a house, and that was sufficient bizarre as to make the world news; it happens about once a decade. Are you saying that there is 1 chance in 100,000,000 each year that an asteroid will hit, but when it does it will kill everyone; so that comes out to 1:20,000; or something like that?

And the electrocution statistics are equally meaningless. Nearly all electrocutions are from 4kv or above lines. Since few homeowners work on

4kv lines, their chances of electrocution are at least one hundred times lower. (I also doubt there are that many electrocutions anyhow, but that is another subject.)
Reply to
toller

Nope. People who are wreckless need to be TOLD that they are being wreckless. Sorry you don't agree, have a nice day.

Reply to
I-zheet M'drurz

This URL has some germain stuff:

Interesting to see a steady decline in onsumer electrocutions. Since the population is increasing, as is the number of electrical gadgets and appliances in daily use, I'm hazarding a guess that the decline is related to the steady growth of GFCI protected circuits.

Or, maybe it's just Darwinism at work and enough careless people get electrocuted before they reach breeding age to improve the breed's average smarts with respect to how to handle electical equipment.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

electrocuted,

while the gfi has definitely saved lives, maybe its because electricity isnt as fatal as some make it out to be.

if 'installed home wiring' includes people upgrading their existing panel,

22 people died that year.

some more numbers:

36 hours someone is electrocuted in the home. so thats about 240 a year. dont know how many are working on their panel but its gotta be less than 240.

comparing this which is a bit later:

people died from falls, 20 % of them were under 65 making the total

1800 people under 65 that died from falling.

so dont stand up!

randy

Reply to
xrongor

Joseph Meehan

My guess is that you connected the black wire from the fixtures to the black wires in the ceiling boxes. The red wires in the ceiling boxes are probably the switch leg and should be connected to the black wire of each fixture.

You may be able to confirm this by opening up the switch and take note of the color of the wires on it. If you see a red and a black on the switch, connect the fixtures to the red and white in each ceiling box.

John Grabowski

John Grabowski

I'm glad you have no problem giving advice to people who don't have a single solitary clue as to what they're doing. Maybe you'll help one of these wreckless lazy slobs electrocute themselves one of these days, or start a good fire. Keep up the good work.

Reply to
I-zheet M'drurz

If you check back, you will see I have often suggested to someone that they should not try a project and to get local help, generally professional. However I try to do so in a respectful manor. Try it someday.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Tom Pendergast, YOU ARE WRECKLESS!!! (just following your advice) You've been TOLD many times to stop giving dangerous, misleading, and inaccurate electrical advice, "I-zheet M'drurz", yet you WRECKLESSLY persist. But then, it's easy to understand how a self appointed armchair lesstrician like you would think that a guy is wreckless just because he slipped up and wired the lights to the hot feed (probably the black) instead of the switch leg (probably the red).

Reply to
Volts500

That's the kind of attitude that will get ya killed or seriously injured. In the USA, more people are killed by 120 volts than the combined deaths from ALL the other voltages. _Best_ treat that 120 volts with some respect.

Reply to
Volts500

"Slipped up"?? Look, horse's ass, *I* knew from the minute I read the post that that's what he did. *you* knew it, and *anybody* with a friggin' CLUE as to how residential wiring is configured these dats KNEW what the answer is.

You roaring, flaming HYPOCRITE. I'm telling this CLUELESS slob that he's too lazy and/or stupid to find out what he's doing before he starts opening up fixtures and swapping wires around. I reapeat: you moron HYPOCRITE.

Put up or shut up time, big mouth jerk:

Name me three instances where I have given " dangerous, misleading, and inaccurate electrical advice,"

Come on, big mouth asshole - NAME THEM. Or shut your fat pig loser mouth.

Reply to
I-zheet M'drurz

this is kind of like the 'most accidents happen at home' statistic. you spend most of your time there so of course you have more accidents at home. if you could somehow factor out time, im sure 120 is much safer than higher voltages.

which still doesnt mean you shouldnt take percautions.

randy

Reply to
xrongor

So why didn't you just tell the guy what he did wrong? Was it necessary to call the guy an idiot right out of the box? A simple, "call an electrician" would have been considered an inappropriately civil response? Or was it just that an ignorant loser like you found pleasure in insulting the guy? Go "shit-yer-drawers" somewhere else ya friggin' wanker.

Here are just a *FEW* of the posts that you have made in the past that demonstrate your dangerous electrical "advice", ya hackmeister, Tom Pendergast, aka "I-zheet M'drurz", more accurately referred to as I-Shit-fer-Brains:

Message-ID: Message-ID: snipped-for-privacy@mindspring.com Message-ID: 8s0Ia.126369$ snipped-for-privacy@twister.tampabay.rr.com Message-ID: iGBGa.71869$ snipped-for-privacy@twister.tampabay.rr.com And the thread(s) that started our "feud": Message-ID: 20bGa.39399$ snipped-for-privacy@twister.tampabay.rr.com Message-ID: Ke8Ga.77461$ snipped-for-privacy@twister.tampabay.rr.com Message-ID: J1iVa.23914$ snipped-for-privacy@twister.tampabay.rr.com

...........and, of course, SAP Guru's favorite Tom Pendergast post:

From: Tom Pendergast Newsgroups: rec.autos.sport.nascar Subject: Re: Killfile....how many are in yours Date: 31 Dec 2002 05:34:34 GMT Organization: Noneayoubizness Lines: 27 NNTP-Posting-Host: du201p169.icubed.com (204.215.201.169) User-Agent: Xnews/5.04.25

I buy a lot of "junk" at the local Post Office auctions, they have them twice a year, and you can see eerything before you bid on it. It's items where the box has been destroyed, people decide they don't want something and just dump it back into the mailbox and it falls apart, etc. So this one time out I spot one of these gizmos!. The plastic tube with the clamps and the suction ball and the magic snake oil in a tube, and I figure "what the heck", it would be good for a gag gift or something, so I bid for it and got it for three bucks. Such a deal! OK, so the temptation got to me, you know. Give it a try. Did it work, Did I add inches overnight??? I dunno. I couldn't get the damned thing on. It was just too (sigh) -tight-.

Tom Pendergast

Reply to
volts500