2 fireplaces share same pipes within same chimney

Hi guys,
Working on fireplace project, and I would like to have a fireplace on main flor and basement. I also will install both fireplaces pointing to same chimney, so big question is, can I use/share 1 set of pipes with 2 fireplaces? I would never use both fireplaces at same time. I'm also planning to use 2100C temperture heat tested pipes (double insulted).
Pleae let me know! Sergio
Sergio wrote:

Just at a blind stab here, I imagine most codes would allow the chimneys to merge, as long as they were constructed to the capacity of both fireplaces. There's no telling what the next owner might do.
I don't know what the codes are, but I suggest it is a bad idea.
First the vent size should be matched to the source. A mis match may mean problems drawing and result in smoke in your home.
--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
If I install 6" pipes all the way, I will make sure I sure fireplace that has spec for 6" pipes only. Since this is a new project, I have the flexibility of purchasing the right fireplace that fits.
If not, I will install 2 chimneys, what a waste of dollars! It will cost be about an extra 1500$ for 2nd set of pipes wit 2100c heat tested, and can be instlled within 2 inches of material.

Later... Sergio
snipped-for-privacy@gtechna.com (Sergio) wrote in message

I wanted to do something similar but was told it does not meet code. The way it was explained to me is that the exhaust will flow to the best vent. This could be the second fire place which means you could be pumping smoke or carbon monoxide into your house instead of out the top of the chimney. Although I haven't done it yet I'm going to run two 4 inch aluminum vents inside one flew.
Greg
Sergio wrote:

Don't think so. Separate riser for each, if passing up a common chimney.

Must use two chimneys according to the safety listing and the building code. Also be sure to size properly. The following is the MINIMUM. W x L of firebox divided by 10 = SQ inches of flue area.
--
John Galbreath Jr.
http://www.firelogs.com /