2-cycle oil mix ratio question.

Page 1 of 2
I have too many small 2-cycle engines and keeping track of the oil/fuel mixture ratios in all the different gas tanks is getting to be a chore. I now have ratios of 25:1, 32:1, 40:1 and 50:1, with factory recommendation of regular gas for one engine and premium gas for another, so putting the wrong fuel into the wrong engine is very likely giving enough time. Someone posted sometime ago that he only use one ratio with one particular type of oil and never had problems over a long period of time with various 2-cycle engine. Anyone know what this ratio and type of oil are or would like to comment? Thanks for reading.

It might have been me, I use 32-1 in Lawnboy [ as lawnboy wants] , in Echo and Sthil, its harder a bit to start the Echo, but more oil I know is better for the motor. You might consider a Synthetic like Mobil 2 Stroke, and will have no issues at with your 32-1 or less motors since most companies even say 1/2 is good enough with synthetics, you will be quadrupling protection of the 50-1 motors. You might find starting the 40 and 50-1 harder since its a richer mix, but I have not found plug fouling to be an issue, or you can always go up a plug temp + # by research of Plug Temp #s , some are hotter the higher the # , some are lower!
I think lowering oil ratio is all a game to appease the EPA [ California] that 2 strokes are clean since my Evinrude boat motor was initialy specd at maybe 60-75-1??? {Im guessing without the manual} and Evinrude backed off after alot of warranty failures. The EPA wants clean motors, 2 strokes are not, I would not rely on Mnfg Oil intakes as bearings are bearings, go richer, go Synthetic, it lubes better. A Synthetic will make a high reving 2 stroke last longer. I know a lawn guy that has 300+ machines and says life is doubled with synthetic and 32-1

Mine is 100:1, but I never ran it that lean. I always use 50:1 and have never had a problem.
ransley wrote:

Could have been me too since I offered this advice a few days ago. I use in the Lawnboy, Troybilt string trimmer and Poulan chain saw. Found it important to use the Lawnboy oil as Quaker State stuff I tried was gumming up the Lawnboy carburetor.
If you use a high quality oil such as the stihl oil, then you can use it at 50:1 in ANY two stroke engine on the planet.

Using premium gas in all your tools won't hurt anything, and there is no such thing as too much oil. One mix, 25:1, 93 octane. Done.
On Tue, 11 Mar 2008 07:09:16 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@rochester.rr.com wrote:

Premium gas in many small engines can cause difficult starting and runnability problems. Too much oil causes lower operating temps which in turn causes excessive carbon buildup, premature wear, and plug fouling.
DONE
On Mar 11, 10:13 am, snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

1. 2-stroke oil burns hotter than fuel (according to Dirt Bike Magazine - and they know more about 2-strokes than anybody here). More oil = more heat.
2. More oil = less fuel = lean burn = more heat.
Double whammy.
25:1 in an engine jetted for 100:1 will kill it.

I'm well aware that it leans out the mixture. That doesn't change the fact that it causes excessive carbon buildup, premature wear, and plug fouling. When the plug is partially fouled, the combustion temps go down, not up.

The best ones are the people who will swear up and down their late model smog mosheens "run better" on premium.

How about 2:1 and really keep the crankcase slippery?
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

There isn't? Where is the crankshaft located?
Jeez!

OH REALLY? Where do you think the crankshaft lives? And where do you think the fuel mix goes when it leaves the carb?
steve

This is incorrect and really bad information.
I never have any problem with the mix ratio. Just dump in a gallon of oil and fill the barrel. done.

Let me guess, you have a weed eater that's big enough to take down redwood trees? And a grass edger that is big enough to make a new Grand Canyon?
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Thanks for reading.

How much does a 1-gallon plastic fuel can cost? Compare that to the cost of the OPE you're fueling.
I'd go with a few fuel cans and a magic marker. Just do it right -- it won't cost all that much.

What is OPE?
I'm already using four different one gallon cans for the different mixes plus one 2.5 gallon for regular and one 2.5 gallon for premium. I don't use the equipment all that much and every few months I dump the old gas out or else some of the 2-stroke won't run right or needed to tear out the carburetors. So a one mix fits all would be welcome and much less gas to dump.