2 Cycle "Gas"

Page 2 of 2
On 3/12/2016 9:59 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Tip from my small engine repair guy. Use premium (without ethanol if you can find it) if you mix your own 2-cycle fuel. Rather than Sta-Bil use "Sea Foam" gasoline additive.
If you only need 2-cycle fuel for occasional use with chain saws, hedge trimmers, etc your best bet is the pre-mixed quarts available from the major manufacturers of tools using 2-cycle mix. Their pre-mixed fuel is high octane, alcohol free, is the perfect ratio of oil:gas AND has additives to keep the tool running properly. Shelf life - after opening the sealed can - is ~ 2 years.

Why would you want to put high octane gas in a low compression engine?
--
The left has convinced half the country that there's a free lunch, and
that the Republicans are stopping them from eating it

I have had bad luck over the years with the ethanol type in a 5 kw generator , but not now that I only use the ethanol free gas not.
On Sat, 12 Mar 2016 19:33:31 -0500, "Ralph Mowery"

On 3/12/16 7:33 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:

Yeah, that makes sense.
--
“You cannot push anyone up the ladder unless he is willing to climb.”
- Andrew Carnegie
On 03/12/2016 06:10 PM, Wade Garrett wrote:

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/
On 03/12/2016 06:10 PM, Wade Garrett wrote:

Some people seems to think "high octane" means "better".
--
"I thank God I was raised Catholic, so sex will always be dirty" [John
Waters]
On Saturday, March 12, 2016 at 6:46:31 PM UTC-8, Sam E wrote:

that goes way bback. I knew kids usign premium in 1930s era cars when I was in HS in the 50s. Back then us kids ran any old jumker we could get fired up. "runs better"...bs.
Harry K
On 3/12/2016 7:10 PM, Wade Garrett wrote:

Premium is often ethanol free. Older small engines could not handle ethanol and it could damage the fuel system.
On 3/12/2016 6:10 PM, Wade Garrett wrote:

The manufacturer's use it in their pre-mix and I was told it was a for the reason that it doesn't have ethanol. In IL all gasoline has ethanol but just over the state line, in Wisconsin, premium gasoline does not have ethanol added.
Not sure what all the higher octane does for the mix, but we damn sure know what ethanol does to small engine parts.

most does. One station even has a special pump for ethanol free gas.

http://www.pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=IL
On 3/13/2016 8:30 AM, html wrote:

Yeah, yeah. I've seen that. Note that the alcohol free gas is predominantly premium octane (as otherwise stated in these posts) and that it's not available in the metro areas.
Less than 100 stations in this entire state (in my small town alone there are >10 gas stations) MIGHT have it on hand, and every one of them seems to be "not exactly 'nowhere' but you can see it from there!" <g>
On Sun, 13 Mar 2016 09:25:17 -0500, Unquestionably Confused

Myers that have REC90 than that don't.
On 3/12/2016 10:59 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

When I traded in my old 2 cycle mower for a new 4 cycle, the mower guy told me not to pour the old 2 cycle gas into any 4 cycle engine. I had Stabil in it and used most of it up over a maybe 4-5 year period in 2 cycle chain saw and weed wacker before it went bad. Regular gas with Stabil is put in my car with no problem after 2 years.
On Sat, 12 Mar 2016 09:38:40 -0600, SeaNymph

Most pharmacies will give/sell you a 10cc syringe and that is perfect for mixing up a half liter of gas (50:1) (a water bottle, thoroughly dried) If you are just using a chain saw occasionally to trim a tree or something that is about a tank of gas. I would burn the rest in your car or just throw it away. Run the saw dry before you put it away. Rec90 may last a year or so but E10 starts going bad in 3-4 months. I am sure someone will come in with a story about their 3 year old gas being fine but there will be far more stories about old gas causing all manner of problems.

I haven't had any issues with my 4-cycle engines, but bad fuel did gum up the carb in my chainsaw. Real pain to fix. Learned my lesson the hard way to add stabilizer to the fuel and run the machines dry if they'll be sitting a long time.
I have also replaced some of my lesser used machines with cordless electric models when possible. I picked up a 56V string trimmer and a 56V leaf blower that work great. No fuel/oil to mix and store, they run quiet, start every time, and work nearly as well as the gas versions for my needs.
Unfortunately, I have too much wood to cut and too big of a yard to go battery power for the chainsaw or mower.