2 cycle compression ......

Page 2 of 2
On Monday, April 2, 2012 5:10:34 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

head. The head and cylinder are one piece and bolt to the crankcase. Nearly all small 2-stroke engines have one-piece "jugs."

Quick survey of ten chainsaws, three weedeaters, fourteen gasoline model airplane engines, and two snowmobiles: ALL have an integrated cylinder and head (aka jug) that bolts to the crankcase.
Nothing new has a separate head. You either have some very old equipment or you're making it up.
On 3/26/2012 8:45 PM, Steve B wrote:

Last year in August, I bought a little used but older Stihl chainsaw from the local Habitat for Humanity Thrift Store. It ran good. It was very dirty and needed a cosmetic cleaning job. Seemed to have good compression. And, it was only $50. I used it once in December and it started and ran great. This year, I tried to start it and nothing. Well, ok, there was an occasional pop, but few and far between. I checked the plug and it was wet. Dried it off and tried and tried and nothing. Emptied the gas and put in clean gas/oil. Stihl nothing :) I then put in a quick squirt of starting fluid in the plug hole, reinstalled the plug and tried again. After maybe 10 pulls, it started without the choke (only on or off) and full open throttle. It seems ok now. I used it the next day. The 1st time it took about 6 or 8 pulls before it started. After that, only one pull. BTW, I think this thing had the original chain, apparently never sharpened and still very sharp. Of course I can't tell for sure, but it everything points in that direction. So it must have been owned by someone who just used it a few times, spending most of it's life on the shelf with all the oily sawdust just left there.
Steve B wrote:

I've messed with a lot of the trimmers. Most of them now days are not for this world long. Keep messing with it and you will get it running but don't expect to much. The carbs are set to run as lean as possible nowdays with very limited adj to richen them, which is why half of them have to be run with the choke partially on. Any chance someone ran it without the oil mixed with the gas?

Those are still carbs - not injectors. They are "regulator carbs" with a diaphragm instead of a float, and a pulse powered fuel pump (which has another diaphragm)

I have a vintage Honda FourTrax, the first year they were made. It wasn't ridden much, then restored by Grandpa for his kid at a cost of $900. Tires, and "stuff". Kid got busted for drugs, so Grandpa sold FourTrax. I picked it up.
That early model has an electric fuel pump, as the carb is higher than the gas tank. It is a damn nightmare. I finally went to a friend who works on them, and asked what to do, as it was always acting up.
He sold me a Mikuni pulse operated fuel pump. All you need is a vacant vacuum port on the carb, and the pulsation works a small diaphragm. Marvelous concept, except for the small detail of no port on that Honda.
So, anyway, I got the electric one working. Hope it doesn't act up out in the bush.
Sold the Mikuni to a friend who has a race bike, and he installed it on his, and it fixed his fuel starvation caused fluttering.
The thing is elegantly simple. Three little nipples... vacuum, gas in, gas out. Bolt it on anywhere.
Steve

Those type fuel pumps are very common on many models of ATV's, Riding mowers and others.
Hank

And built in on many Mikuni and Tillotson regulator carbs. (as well as Walbro and likely half a dozen other more obscure brands)