2 caulking questions

Had posted this a while back, the thread became stale, so here it is again...

  1. Is it OK to remove silicone caulking part way up a vertical edge, since only the lower half is bad and mildewed? I mean, will the new silicone caulk form a watertight bond where the new caulking meets the old?

  1. I have seen posts in great detail on how to tool and smooth afterwards. However, having applied and ripped out 2 applications in a week, I would like opinions on the right amount of pressure to apply when smoothing out. Should you gently push the caulking into the crack, or forcefully press and wipe away excess caulk until only a thin film, firmly pushed into the crack remains?

Thanks all, waiting for your responses, before my second bath becomes functional again...

Vijay

Reply to
vbajwa

new should stick to old if the old is clean... as far as putting in caulk, its an art ,, but steady pressure and steady speed is the key. lucas

ds549