$2,500 reasonable for chimney repair?

The estimate is for rebuilding 16 layers (courses) of brick. Does that appear to be high, or is it still in the ballpark for Massachusetts?
Thanks. H
On Sat, 09 Sep 2006 11:56:15 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net wrote:

Not being a comrad of the People Republic of Massachusetts, the only advice I can offer, get more than one estimate for comparisons. Only use licensed, insured contractors, and always check with the BBB for pluses and minuses of a contractor. Also, have in writing only 'legal' workers will be used.
On a personal note, I watch how people behave. Do they use safety equipment, even as simple as glasses? etc....
Good luck,
tom

In a normal part of the Commie-wealth or in the heart land of Boston?
Seriously, more rural or urban makes a really big difference. So does the height and the amount of scaffolding needed to safely perform the work.
--
Colbyt
One picture can be worth a 1000 words.

has this chimney been camera inspected?
many older chimneys are a safety hazard detoriated inside
This might be completely unrelated but I thought I'd share my two cents.
About two years ago I had my chimney inspected and scoped. They found some structural problems at the top. The cheapest thing we came up with was to have a stainless liner installed and a brick man came out and re-secured the bricks at the top and re-pointed the joints. All said and told $1,600 in Indiana. The liner install with stuff was $750.
No scaffolding and 30 feet of chimney.
I use this with a wood stove and it draws GREAT. Gets real warm and my furnace run time was reduced so much that now I pay rent on my propane tank. (If I do not buy a minimum amount of propane I have to pay tank rent).
Like I said, just my two cents.
snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net wrote:

That's helpful. I appreciate your input. It's something else to consider.
HS
On Sat, 16 Sep 2006 10:17:44 -0400, Fred Wilson