2.4v lightbulb for 2 AA batteries?

I bought a flashlight that came with two spare bulbs, that say on them 2.4v. So does the one in the flashlight. The flashlight uses two batteries in series, and I thought that should be 3 volts. Is this "normal" or is the bulb going to burn out quickly? Or what? :)

That's the way they come. It works. If it doesn't work get a refund.

Flashlight bulbs are normally rated for about 1.2-1.25 volts per cell, so as to achieve full brightness when the batteries are in, in my words, "average condition". There is also some consideration for "average" internal resistance of the batteries.
On Sun, 16 Mar 2008 02:22:04 +0000 (UTC), snipped-for-privacy@manx.misty.com (Don Klipstein) wrote:

Thanks to all of you. (I wonder why I never noticed this before.)

Agree: With ordinary/regular batteries by the time the electricity comes out it will have encountered some internal resistance within the battery itself. So over the life of the battery the voltage will be somewhere below the nominal 1.5 volts per cell, (3.0 volts for two). Very large batteries may have lower voltage dop, especially on small loads.
For two AA cells, use a PR-4. That will give you reasonable service.
For two C cells, PR-4.
For two D cells, most lights use PR-2, though the PR-4 will work fine and give longer battery life. But the PR-4 is not quite as bright.
Yep, the voltage ratings aren't perfect.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

batteries to be used. I haven't looked in any other flashlights, but come to think of it, I don't have any designed but cheap flashlights.