1st time using a miter saw.

I want to cut miters on some baseboards. Should i cut the miters with the board standing up, OR should i lay them down & tilt the saw blade ?
--
Dell Inspiron
Pentium dual-core 2.2 GHz
desgnr wrote:

Well, you CAN'T cut them standing up if they are more than about 4" tall.
If they have any kind of sculpturing on the baseboards, you should cut them with a coping saw anyway. Bear in mind, also, that corners are seldom exactly 90 degrees. Use an angle finder to get the exact measurement. Search the web for the technique. Here's one: http://home-interiors.suite101.com/article.cfm/how_to_cut_and_install_baseboards
Also, floors are seldom level. When you place the baseboard, you'll probably see gaps between it and the floor.
Use a school compass to set the widest gap, then with that set, draw a line on the baseboard the entire length. Remove any wood between the line and the edge of the board.

you should probably rtfm

Either way. I usually prefer not to tilt the blade, easier and maybe safer.