1962 bathtub drain

How do you snake out a slow running 1962 bathtub drain?
Sparky wrote:

Carefully, with a 1961 snake.
If you snake it, go in thru the trip-lever opening.
What sometimes works better is a shop vac. Block off the trip-lever opening with wet rags stuffed tightly. Tightly seal vac hose to drain and turn on.
Jim
remove drain control, snake thru this opening.
if you have a drum trap it may need replaced:(

Hook up the vac hose to the outlet or blower side!
--
Often wrong, never in doubt.

Could you describe a drum trap to me please??
I've tried to use a sink snake but it would only go so far with no results.
We don't have a trip lever but we do have an overflow in the same location.
Geoff
Sparky wrote:

http://plumbing.hardwarestore.com/learning/how-to-unclog-drains-toilets-and-sewers.aspx
If there is an access panel behind the tub, look and see what the trap is.
Jim
Drum traps are basic round barrel with inlet and outlet.
snakes just wind up inside:(
best fixed by replacing with regular trap
they could be opened but after all these years they rust shut and screws break off.
not worth messing with......