1950s Chest Freezer Refurbish

Page 10 of 10
In article

It wasn't for the all BS that surrounded it. TMI should have been a poster child for the safety of nuclear power since something went wrong, yet the safety systems all worked the way they were supposed to.

In any degree? You want 100% assurances that nothing will ever go wrong? Then we should pretty much sit back and contemplate our navels in the dark. But even that is fraught with dangers.

The real problem with the future of nuke power was the coincidence on TMI and a movie release that hyped up the danger unneccessarily simply to sell movie tickets. I bet if you looked you would find out more people have died falling off of wind turbines than died in US reactor accidents. There certainly have been many thousand times the number who have died in coal and oil related accidents.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Heck, as the bumper sticker said, more people have died in Teddy Kennedy's car than from nuclear accidents. Sometimes I think Teddy poses the greater danger to the country (g).

He and his ilk;the greatest danger to the US.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Jim Yanik wrote:

Paul Oman wrote:

Latest data I was able to find the last time the subject came up was IAEA for 2004 where they were still nearly 80%. I don't think their percentage has change that much since...
http://www.eia.doe.gov/cneaf/nuclear/page/nuc_generation/gensum2.html
And of course, they as well as all of of the rest of the civilian power industry, recycle instead of being stuck in our self-imposed absurd mire...

The Kennedys, Kerry and Romney don't have any credibility in the alternate energy debate. They are the ones who fought tooth and nail to try to stop a wind farm in Massacheucetts ... right where they need more power and where they can't build any other kind of plant.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote: ...

True, but the reaction was hysteria from folks like you, not from any reasoned evaluation of the consequences.
There was no measurable offsite harm, no onsite injuries. Nothing but some damaged equipment. How many other industries can have that as their worst scenario after almost 40 years?

Again I repeat--the LWR designs and Chernobyl have _nothing_ in common other than sharing the word "nuclear".
If you had any idea of the differences, you would understand that.
And again, what was the accident mechanism in Chernobyl? Do you even know what actually happened?

I made no such statement. If you want to have a discussion, at least don't make stuff up and attempt to make me say things I didn't say. This is the second time you've done this--to another respondent previously I saw.

As I previously pointed out, you could extend this fear mongering to many things. Imagine the airplane having just been invented. You could conjure up all kinds of images of impending doom. Planes falling from the sky and killing hundreds at a time. Yet, we have 3 major airports withing a few miles of NYC. People fly every day and it's recognized as the safest and most efficient means of transportation.
We keep hearing Chernobyl. How about Hiroshima and Nagasaki? Look on a map and they are completely rebuilt thriving cities today.
And the final hypocrisy with the fear mongers is this. The same extremists that rail against nuclear power rail against just about everything else. Global warming for example. We're suppose to believe that life on the whole planet is in jeopardy, yet we're not suppose to use nuclear power, which has close to zero green house emissions. They have no solutions, only extreme positions.
dpb wrote:

I should also point out that the trend had already begun well before TMI and the conclusion was already foregone -- TMI simply was the final chapter in the story at the time.
The incessant harping on negatives by the anti-nuke activists and the antagonism in the Carter Administration combined with the ability of the environmentalists to wreak havoc in the licensing process by the misuse of EPA and other subterfuges were sufficient impediments to the economics to make the utilities look for either postponing expansion or more expedient-at-the-time alternatives. Add into the mix, of course, the cost of money owing to the out-of-control inflation at the time.
That short-sighted handling of circumstances led to where we are now -- massive reliance on what has now become very expensive natural-gas fired units, old coal-fired units still on line 20-30 years after they would have otherwise been retired in favor of cheaper and cleaner units (both fossil- and nuclear-powered) and no comprehensive energy policy to this day other than avoidance of the inevitable for the short-term.
All in all, not at all a good legacy for those on that side to look back on.
Irrational discussion of stuff as you posit here doesn't advance the cause, either, so in many respects we're no better off after 30 years.
Hi,
I had the good fortune to work for a company that supplied parts for AECL many years ago. We got a tour of Bruce B, during its construction, and the then working Bruce A plant. We walked through what would be a reactor chamber, and really enjoyed the professionalism, and had the safety systems explained to us, including systems that were already in place, that had never been used. It was truly, and quietly, impressive.
The ignorant should have just a little information before they start the childish name-calling. I'm not saying it's the best that can be done, but it's the best we have.

Oil, natural gas, coal.
No matter what your local power company uses, they swap power and at some point your electricity is generated by other fuels. The poster said it was good to keep things rather than load up a landfill. While that is generally a good idea, taking up space in a landfill is not so bad if you save using up non-renewable energy for many more years. If you are a global warming advocate, you are causing more greenhouse gasses also.
The question is one of balance between living it a cold dark cave or having every luxury device ever made.

the old unit can be recycled, the metals sent to china so they can sell us more stuff......

Did I say I was interested in saving money? I'd rather pay more just so that I can handle enameled steep and chrome and glass rather than plastic.

subject to if a child can get out of it safely; if it has a death trap latch add whatever modern safety lock is recommended these days. meantime the freezer operation costs could be weighed versus unplugging the freezer entirely versus time and money on gasoline to the stores. freezer for convenience operation can be enhanced with exterior insulation and keeping it full to keep operational costs low. often overlooked in cold climates can be the outdoors. a critter resistant insulated cooler for the outdoor sheltered cold porch perhaps could help with seasonal storage.