1950s Chest Freezer Refurbish

Page 6 of 10
In article

Even the most conservative regulator would not approve a NEW site NEAR any significant population.

Not a chance, hal.
Based on your words of late, I suspect you are of the same mindset as those that subscribe to the [any nuke is a BAD nuke] prejudice.

Oh, gawd. There's nothing quite like an ethnic distraction from a legitimate debate. Way to go...
--
<sigh>
JR

not a distraction a honest suggestion.
we the people need to rise up demonstrarte, complain to congress to stop the building of new reactors in the us..........
let other countries find the troubles.........
note you failed to address my comments about bad wiring
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote: ...

They've all been built since K&T went out of style, Haller.
PLONK.

Hey! Knob and tube is GOOD wiring!
--
:)
JR

It's quite interesting that you don't see your proposal to place nukes in Mexico for what it is.. You consider them lethal accidents waiting to happen and don't want them here. Yet, you have no problem suggesting that they be built in Mexico.
I'm not a big fan of playing the race card, but in this case, I'd sure like to hear what makes Mexican lives worth less than American ones.
Oh, just for the record, I live about 25 miles from the oldest nuke in the US and I sleep well every night.

On Fri, 29 Feb 2008 05:00:37 -0800 (PST), " snipped-for-privacy@aol.com"
Great, lets shop more high tech jobs south of the border
In article

Yep. Downtown NY is just filthy with them and they are building new ones almost hourly. This is SO... ludicrous.

most existing nuke plants are close to population centers, i live within 50 miles of shippingport power station. i repair machines in area, awhile ago they distribuited iodine to the residents in case of a accident
In article

As they should be to minimize transmission losses.

You probably enjoy reasonably-priced, if not CHEAP, electric power.

That's to treat the abrasions and lacerations incurred from slamming shut windows and doors in the event of a TMI-type incident and the wind is blowing in their direction.
We spent more wisely here: They installed a network of special alert sirens to give us time to get to the drug store to BUY iodine.
Me? I simply wear a lead-lined suit all the time. It gets pretty uncomfortable in the summer but, at least I'm safe.
Unbelievable...
--
:)
JR

not true at all, pittsburgh had some of the highest electric rates in the nation, untill a few years ago, duquesne light sold off power generation, rates dropped, now they are headed up agan big time.........
around here nuke didnt equal low cost.
as a matter of fact stranded costs were a big issue, and why generation was sold off
no matter what you claim selling nuke, espically new nuke, and the transmission lines that go with it, is going to be a tough to impossible sell.
my katrina comments are based we are nearly all uninsured if a reactor poisions a region.
claims will hit the fedreal cap, and that will be that. the power companies nor the feds have the bucks to compensate folks for a chernobyl sized disaster
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote: ...

And why were there stranded costs? Simply other idiots like you standing in the way, most likely...

No it isn't going to be a hard sell down the road -- C sequestration and greenhouse gas concerns will make it the obvious alternative.

stranded costs came from over building for steel and other industry that just went out of business........
time will tell but people fight power transmission lines, now add a nuke power plant, and watch the lawsuits fly
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote: ...

It could hardly have been called over-building since they were there at the time. There's little if any generation capacity that has come online in that area in well over 20 years that I'm aware of (although I didn't do a check of the Directory of Power Producers, I can do so if you'd like to disagree).
There is certainly no great excess of power in the northeast grid even today. Which unit(s) are you deeming as stranded?

Well, they can either decide to have power or do without -- suits me fine if they all want to go somewhere where it doesn't disturb the rest of us and get it by magic from whatever means they can invent on their own.

Kinda sorta. Nothing in the way of main plants. There, instead, have been a number of smaller peaking plants because they are much easier to get approved. That is causing problems because the main plant are getting older and the peaking plants are not as efficient.
Kurt Ullman wrote:

Precisely---rather than there being excess capacity, there's actually a shortage and they're paying the cost for high natural gas prices for gas turbines instead of having baseload generation to be amortized over a larger base and having the ability to be sold off-grid when off-peak.

OTOH,many cities will welcome the good paying,high tech jobs,along with clean safe reliable electric power.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Back when Nuke power was first developed, there wre lots of glowing (pun intended) articles in every major publication touting it as being able to produce electricity "too cheap to meter". That was the standard company line.
They've been lying about it's benefits ever since.
BTW - did you know that after Chernoble there was a large, highly radioactive "cloud" that passed over parts of the United States? Apparently our government was more than a little concerned about it. Not much they could do, though except pray that weather conditions cooperated to keep it up and moving so that it eventually went elsewhere to precipatate it's load.
snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

The only significant cost factor has been the extended design/license/build time that raised capital costs owing to obstructionist tactics.
The actual fuel/incremental generation costs are extremely competitive w/ any other baseload generation other than hydro.

years ago duquesne light went into a power plant building boom, power alley it was called. then 3 mile island occured, a partially built nuke plant was abandoned, industry tanked in western pa, partially built coal fired plants were abandoned too.......
all this building but not completing power plants created stranded costs that raised duquesne light rates, which discouraged new industry from coming here.
bring on the nuke plants, despite the industry the taxpayers will lean on their congressional and state reps.........
build the plants in china, they truly need more electric.
here coal is a near forever supply./ plus our economy is well on its way to tank. we wouldnt need nor be able to afford a bunch of new nuke plants no matter how safe they are..........
i truly believe our economy is going to get very bad before it improves at all
In article

Why? Because of the hysterical rants of a comparative handful of loud people with willing accomplices in the media.

Whose fault was it that the building was abandoned? They are the ones to blame for the subsequent malaise you describe.

I hope so. We could sure use the added capacity.

They'll build them - without ANY concern for their people or their safety.

OK. Now you're talking sense. But the Manmade Global Warming Hoax Believers are hell bent on suppressing THAT particular fuel, too. It's *ALL* bad. We can't win.

Aw, turn off the television and look around. This is a Presidential Election year. There hasn't been one where the economy has been good in my lifetime. It's not all that GOOD right now, but it's no where NEAR "tanking".

Wouldn't need or WON'T need?
Regardless, if we don't fully NEED the capacity right NOW, we will soon enough. Given the time it takes to get ANY generation facility on-line, NOW is the time to start.
Afford? Heck, yes. We might just have to back-off to the next, lower tier on our NetFlix subscription. One less latte at Starbucks. One less hotel room through PriceLine and perhaps one less Disney vacation.
All one has to do is look at what's being advertised on major media. If someone wants to have a recession, they can just count me out.

Obviously, I hope (and believe) you are wrong. The economy may slow a bit more before November, but not by much. We'll get [whomever] inaugurated in January and be well on our way to the next, hopeless disaster. Carry on.
--
:)
JR