1950s Chest Freezer Refurbish

Page 3 of 10

You can get killed walking across the street, yet they keep building more streets.
Sad as the photos are, that is a different setup than anything in the US. We can't burn oil and coal forever either.

we have on us soil a couple thousand year supply of coal.........
isnt that enough for you?
arent you the one who claimed chernobyl only killed one city, yet this proves the dead area is very large....
plus the river sends contaminated water down river indefinetely.
no one says how long term storage will be paid for a yucca mountain is no guarantee

But we still need better wqays to mine and burn it

No, that was not me
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote: ...

Well, ignoring CO2 and other emissions now, are you?
I'm fine w/ fossil-fired units as long as they're not wasting oil and natural gas as we currently are (both of which are far too valuable to be frittered away on central-station generation).
But, if the greenhouse gas argument has any legs at all, there's only one real alternative, and that is nuclear. (I know, there's solar/wind/geothermal/tidal/..., but none of those has the facility to replace large central-station generation 24/7 at anyways near the capacity required.)
If you think the Chernobyl pictures are a problem, look at the air pollution problems China and India are making from their fossil-fired generation and consider that impact as they continue to build at the rate they are. And, while considering, consider that whatever we do in the US isn't going to make any difference whatsoever in their governments' policies of what is in their best short term interests.
So, if you want to make any positive impact whatsoever, you had best get on the nuclear bandwagon--it's the only real alternative. What may happen in another 20-50 years for C sequestration and all is hard to guess, but my personal opinion is it is at least that long before there's any hope of any of the currently-proposed technologies being large-scale viable at anything close to competitive costs. Meanwhile, we already know how to build and operate safe, cost-competitive nuclear power plants -- all we need is to do it.

IF YOU"RE GOING TO KEEP CLAIMING THIS AT LEAST GO BACK AND FIND WHERE IT WAS AND DO THE COMPLAINING TO THE PERPETRATOR.

The costs are paid by the fund the nuclear utilities contribute to -- this has been pointed out to you previously.
Yucca Mountain is no guarantee for what? It is what it is -- a temporary storage facility until the US finally gets off its duff and begins to reprocess fuel and make use of the vast resource we're now just sitting on.
This again is not a technical challenge, it's a political problem created by folks like you who have no solutions, only complaints, most of them as ludicrous as the arguments you've tried to make here.
Three Mile ISland...
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

ahh sadly one mistake creates another chernobyl like event.
while the reactor cores and compartively well protected in the containment building, the large concrete domeed building ........
the spent fuel rods are stored in roughly insecure normal building. if a terrorist sent a small plane loaded with explosives into one of these facilities, cooling water can be interrupted.
you have a major disaster.
I support more nuke plants once the nuclear waste issue is addressed.
currently they are thinking of burying it in yucca mountain nevada
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote: ...

Not physically possible w/ a LWR reactor design.

No, they're pools...

Nothing whatsoever like what you're imagining...

Again, no, they're not "thinking of burying it" -- it is named monitored retrievable storage for a reason.

One of the funnest things in Usenet. :)
About the freezer: the job is going on hold until I can do without the services of the freezer for a while. I had a chance to score a USDA Choice whole been sirlion for $1.99 a pound, nine pounds of beef, couldn't pass it up.
Thanks for all advice.

How dare you post on topic!?!?!?
Hey, glad the chest freezer is still working fine.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Perfectly lovely comment. Thank you.
"cybercat" wrote

Not to mention that the soup kitchen here was delighted to get one for free from us, roughly same vintage. Big enough to store a 1/2 side of beef easily with a bit spare around the edges <grin>.

Neat!

well after some time it wouldnt be retrievable. and nevada is fighting the plan, based at least partially on the risk of a earthquake opening the mountain at some point in a thousand years.
just how does one prevent a person in the future from accidently breeching the storage area? our country is just over 200 years old.
now a thousands or more. how does one guarantee a future resident doesnt drill a well, not knowing the hazard
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

The logical solution is to recycle as does the rest of the world. The only reason we're not is because during the Carter administration the NRC was commanded to not consider the licensing application for the GE-proposed recycling facility, effectively creating the problem of the open-end fuel cycle we're still having to deal with.
The only reason for that was Carter's inability to separate commercial nuclear fuel and reprocessing/recycling from weapons proliferation.
As in the comparison you keep trying to make between Chernobyl and other LWR reactor designs, the only real similarity is that they both use some of the same words.
On Tue, 26 Feb 2008 22:14:36 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"

On Turesday there was a huge power outage in Florida caused by a shut down of a nuke plant for safety issues.
On Feb 27, 8:26�am, snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

all public buildings nationwide should be required to have a minimal back up power capability.
to run emergency lights, get elevators to ground level, and stuff like that.
people stuck in elevators is really dumb in this day and age
I wonder how practical that is, versus the incredible expense?
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

you wouldnt need a power plant to run the entire building, just enough to get one or two elevator cars to a floor and open doors.
way safer and easier than depending on over worked firemen in shafts
On Wed, 27 Feb 2008 13:52:33 -0800 (PST), " snipped-for-privacy@aol.com"

Why would the firemen go down the shaft. You just open the door and climb out. The only dangerous part is if the power comes back on while you are in the door. Most elevator doors can be pried open from inside then you can trip the latch for the hallway door. BTDT