1950s Chest Freezer Refurbish

Page 2 of 10
"ransley" wrote

Extremely doubtful. Yes newer ones are more efficient but not that radically so when new units of that size are 700$ and up. She's much better off just banking the food savings money until it eventually needs more freon (which she wont be able to get for the older unit nor is it cost effective to try to adapt them). She's probably getting 40$ a year electric more for it vice a newer model. I know. I had one like it. It will take 17 YEARS to pay off at that rate.

New units are up to 75% more efficient, it could cost 20+ a month to run what she has now or save 400 in 2 years by getting a new unit. Im sure you never tested them.
"ransley" wrote

No I never 'tested'. I didnt need to as I have live experience . *I had one*. You'll note the only other person to reply who has had one said the same. You are acting like the new ones run for free. They dont. The difference in cost per month is a few dollars. Can be 3 or 4 depending on how expensive electric is where you are.
Perhaps you missed that it's a difference per cost that matters here. Want to argue with a 12 year electrical bill history showing? I *know* what I am talking about. She should save the unit as long as possible and not create more landfill.

My experience differs from your. Put that hunk of metal in the recycle bin and save tons of fuel with a new one. Payback can easily be two to four years. Not to mention features of a newer model.
wrote in message

There are more important things than money, Edwin. If I wanted to trash this old beauty, I would have said so. I will restore it, and keep it for another 30 years.

I will, but not for that reason. I am keeping it because I love the look and feel of it, and it works great! Our electric bill is low for people who use so many electronics, too. The best reason to keep it: it, and the 1949 GE refrigerator next to it has run without a hitch for ten years, after running in the same spots from at least 1969 to 1998 when we bought this house. The owner left me all the documentation for all of the appliances that came with the house. These are in the utility in the finished basement. While the 1970s fridge in the kitchen died along with the 1980s dishwasher and the 1980s hood fan over the stove, these beauties have hummed along smoothly for all these years. And, again, when we replaced the kitchen fridge with a new Whirlpook with all the bells and whistles, it broke after 3 years. I was so pissed at paying over a grand for a bunch of plastic, I won't have it fixed. I am the cook in the house, and if I want to go downstairs to get my stuff, I guess I can.

I have both, a 1950 freeezer now used as clothes storage and new stuff. I have used a KAW meter on Both and I am right as www.EnergyStar.Gov will confirm. Its BS to state " you save little" , if you want to waste energy go ahead , be a hog, my neighbor keeps 1500w of incandesants on 24x7, but its not apropriate to do so in this day and age, and its a waste of $$. So the rich dont give a shit.

What she said. If the OP can keep this old beauty going for a while longer at not much more $$, he/she should. Landfill is a huge issue now.

So landfills are more important that using up fossil fuels?
wrote in message

Fossil fuels?
"cybercat" wrote

He's apparently assuming your electric plant is run on fossil fuels I guess? Dunno, my area is a mix of hydropower and nuclear facilities.

oh nuclear at least that doesnt pollute:( spent fuel killer hazardous for millions of years.........
we are about to see a resurgence of nuke plants, i wonder what troubles that will cause?
On Mon, 25 Feb 2008 05:08:02 -0800 (PST), " snipped-for-privacy@aol.com"

Should make the terrorists happy, as their work will be so much simplified.

About the same amount of trouble they have EVER caused in this country: ZILCH
on 2/25/2008 7:30 PM Dr. Hardcrab said the following:

I live about 25 miles from the Indian Point Nuclear facility in Buchanan NY. It has been there for 30 years. Every time a light bulb burns out there, the wackos come out with their "See, we told you it was dangerous" signs. I lose no sleep being within fallout distance from it. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indian_Point_nuclear_power_plant
Bill In Hamptonburgh, NY To email, remove the double zeroes after @

people who lived around chernobyl werent concerned either.......
http://www.angelfire.com/extreme4/kiddofspeed/chapter1.html
is a fascinating look at the effected area of russia, with tons of photos
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote: ...

And Chernobyl was a _completely_ different reactor design than any in the US (or elsewhere, for that matter) without any containment.
That Chernobyl was a disaster is true but it has no relevance to light-water reactors.

the US nearly had its chernobyl, 3 mile island. some roids melted, it was a close thing....
plus a meltdown like situation can occur at any time, with the spent fuel rods in unhardened buildings, a easy terrorist target. and reactors with waste storage tend to be near population centers and rivers for cooling water.
http://www.nuclearflower.com/highres.htm
now take a look at some of these photos and explain how the risk is worth it?
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

No, it is not possible to do a Chernobyl w/ a LWR. Do you understand the difference in reactor designs?

Again, no -- after the spent fuel assemblies are removed and been in storage for a while they do not have enough self-generated heat to require forced cooling. A very large percentage of the fuel in storage at various facilities in the US has been out of the reactor for so long it could be in open air and still not be a thermal problem. Some biological shielding is, of course, still required and that is actually as much of the purpose of the pool water as is cooling.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Certainly the risk is worth it. That's already been established.
If it can be shown that nuclear power causes less deaths per KWs generated than any other form of electrical generation, then nuclear should be a hands-down winner.
Well, it can.
Consider the mining and transportation (from, say Montana to Chicago) of tens of thousands of railcars full of coal. Consider that hydroelectric dams don't fail very often, but when they do...
And so on.
The thing that nuclear has that the others don't is the "terror factor."