1950s Chest Freezer Refurbish

I have both, a 1950 freeezer now used as clothes storage and new stuff. I have used a KAW meter on Both and I am right as www.EnergyStar.G= ov will confirm. Its BS to state " you save little" , if you want to waste energy go ahead , be a hog, my neighbor keeps 1500w of incandesants on 24x7, but its not apropriate to do so in this day and age, and its a waste of $$. So the rich dont give a shit.

Reply to
ransley

What she said. If the OP can keep this old beauty going for a while longer at not much more $$, he/she should. Landfill is a huge issue now.

Reply to
KLS

If you were near me I'd offer my Ugly Truck... sounds like you live in an area just like mine! Maybe when the gas prices go up some more I can pick up a used Yukon Denali or something for cheap so I can haul greasy car parts in leather lined luxury... do they make them in turbodiesel with a manual transmission?

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

on 2/24/2008 2:18 PM cybercat said the following:

Don't you have a friend with a pickup truck? If not, make a new friend with a PU truck. I have one. Where are you? :-)

Reply to
willshak

the power company wishes everyonew was like the OP

Reply to
hallerb

Oh, cool! Thanks. I will call around.

Yes, I think I can.

Reply to
cybercat

So landfills are more important that using up fossil fuels?

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Fossil fuels?

Reply to
cybercat

"cybercat" wrote

He's apparently assuming your electric plant is run on fossil fuels I guess? Dunno, my area is a mix of hydropower and nuclear facilities.

Reply to
cshenk

oh nuclear at least that doesnt pollute:( spent fuel killer hazardous for millions of years.........

we are about to see a resurgence of nuke plants, i wonder what troubles that will cause?

Reply to
hallerb

Should make the terrorists happy, as their work will be so much simplified.

Reply to
salty

A good refrigeration guy may be able to replace the compressor.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

subject to if a child can get out of it safely; if it has a death trap latch add whatever modern safety lock is recommended these days. meantime the freezer operation costs could be weighed versus unplugging the freezer entirely versus time and money on gasoline to the stores. freezer for convenience operation can be enhanced with exterior insulation and keeping it full to keep operational costs low. often overlooked in cold climates can be the outdoors. a critter resistant insulated cooler for the outdoor sheltered cold porch perhaps could help with seasonal storage.

Reply to
buffalobill

About the same amount of trouble they have EVER caused in this country: ZILCH

Reply to
Dr. Hardcrab

Oil, natural gas, coal.

No matter what your local power company uses, they swap power and at some point your electricity is generated by other fuels. The poster said it was good to keep things rather than load up a landfill. While that is generally a good idea, taking up space in a landfill is not so bad if you save using up non-renewable energy for many more years. If you are a global warming advocate, you are causing more greenhouse gasses also.

The question is one of balance between living it a cold dark cave or having every luxury device ever made.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

the old unit can be recycled, the metals sent to china so they can sell us more stuff......

Reply to
hallerb

It works great! Has been with no repairs for ten years for sure, likely for more like 40+

Reply to
cybercat

on 2/25/2008 7:30 PM Dr. Hardcrab said the following:

I live about 25 miles from the Indian Point Nuclear facility in Buchanan NY. It has been there for 30 years. Every time a light bulb burns out there, the wackos come out with their "See, we told you it was dangerous" signs. I lose no sleep being within fallout distance from it.

Bill In Hamptonburgh, NY To email, remove the double zeroes after @

Reply to
willshak

people who lived around chernobyl werent concerned either.......

is a fascinating look at the effected area of russia, with tons of photos

Reply to
hallerb

Three Mile ISland...

Reply to