1950s Chest Freezer Refurbish

Page 1 of 10
This might be OT--is there an alt.refurbish.old appliances?
We have a cool old freezer, a GE Hotpoint 20 that came with our house. I love it! It still works great, and I like old stuff. It matches the 1949 fridge in the same utility room, enamel and chrome, very cool. (Also ... both have run nonstop for the ten years we have had this house, whereas the new, plastic and crap side-by-side we bought five years ago lasted three years.)
Thing is, condensation has made the top of it rust. The former owner obviously did some repainting or something at some point, but it has rusted through again. I have it defrosted and cleaned, opened up and drying out now.
If you were going to refinish the top of this thing, how would you do it? I want to really seal the rust the best I can, then paint white like the rest of the thing.
Thank you in advance for any help.
cybercat wrote:

There is no "seal." You remove the lid, remove the seal/handle/hardware etc, take it to a body shop, and have them media blast it and refinish it like a car body.
You *could* brush a coat of POR-15 on it which is one of only a few products available that will actually seal rust, but then when you try to wetsand it to prep for paint, you'll discover that it's also hard as nails and doesn't sand well.
Good luck with your project, I agree with you, 40s/50s stuff is cool and worth saving. I only wish the previous owners of my house had felt the same way... (the old kitchen cabinets in the laundry room are much more to my liking than the ones in the kitchen...)
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Worth saving for appearance, NOT worth savings for the cost of operation. Most older appliances cost many times to operate compared to the new stuff.
A good refrigeration guy may be able to replace the compressor.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

It works great! Has been with no repairs for ten years for sure, likely for more like 40+

Someone mentioned the energy efficiency. New compressor will improve the energy efficiency.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Nate, I really like this idea. I will look into it. Transporting it to the body shop might be a problem--it is huge, just the top, even, and heavy. We are one of the few families in this city without a sport utility vehicle, though few people here need them. Thanks.

body shops transport large body panels etc all the time. take a photo in, if theres oney to be made they may transport it.
can you get the door off?

Oh, cool! Thanks. I will call around.

Yes, I think I can.

cybercat wrote:

If you were near me I'd offer my Ugly Truck... sounds like you live in an area just like mine! Maybe when the gas prices go up some more I can pick up a used Yukon Denali or something for cheap so I can haul greasy car parts in leather lined luxury... do they make them in turbodiesel with a manual transmission?
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
on 2/24/2008 2:18 PM cybercat said the following:

Don't you have a friend with a pickup truck? If not, make a new friend with a PU truck. I have one. Where are you? :-)
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

I'd sand it and use appliance paint if I wanted to make it look good. Or have a pro do it and it will look factory new..
OTOH, I'd scrap it out and save a bundle of money on my electric bill. The newspaper had an article about old appliances. One family cut their bill in half by getting rid of an old freezer and replacing it with a new, albeit smaller one. A few years ago I got rid of an old 12 cu ft refrigerator in the basement and replaced it with a new 18 cu. ft. frost free. Electric bill went down $10 a month. Paid for itself in just over 3 years.
Wow cool stuff. I would love to see pictures before or after.
We love old cool stuff.... our phone has a dial on it our coffee pot is from the early 50's and we camp in trailers from the 30's through the 50's which can have cool old appliances in them that often times work just fine.
www.vintagetrailersofrsale.com
cm

Neat! I will take pictures, thanks for the idea!
I have recently been measuring the power consumed by a 1969 and a 2008 fridge freezer of nearly equal size, about 14 c ft for each unit. I used two of those power measuring meters that are available these days.
The 1969 unit uses about 10% more power than the newer unit.
This isn't saving a lot of money since the new unit's power consumption is approximately equal to a 40W bulb running continuously. (Btw this is typical a power consumption of modern refrigerators.)
At 18 c Kw/Hr a mere 4 W saving per hour isn't ever going to amount to much money.
Refrigerators/freezers typically use less than a 60W bulb running continuously.
At 18 cents/KwHr this costs $ (60/1000) X 24 X365 X 0.18 pa
= $94.60 pa
Here in Australia refrigerators and freezers typically cost $900 or so new. Even if your new refrigerator/freezer used zero power compared to the old rerfigerator at $94.60 pa it would take about 10 years to pay for the new refrigerator.
In practice, as measured on my actual 1969/2008 units and with a mere 10% _measured_ difference in efficiency, it would be more like 100 years payback time.
Fix your 1950's unit and enjoy!
I'd suggest power savings with new units would be minimal.
Otoh convincing folk to buy new units means a lot of $$$$$ to manufacturers.
Ross

You need new units... "Kw/Hr" and "watts per hour" are meaningless units.
Learn the difference between power and energy.
Nick
On Feb 24, 3:23�am, ebff snipped-for-privacy@lnubb.pbz (RMD) wrote:

was that a test over a week or a few minutes?
newer appliances have much better insulation so overall energy consumption is less.
its not just a matter of running current............
"cybercat" <wrote

Great units. We ended up giving one away to the local 'soup kitchen' as we also had a newer one bought when we were living in Japan.

It is fixable. How much depends on what you want to spend and if it's in a highly visible location.

Ours was in the garage so it wasnt critical to have it 'perfect' but the finished job turned out near enough to that for use inside had we wanted to.
It was bought used and had rust spots. Don used a medium grade sand paper then a fine one to finish it off. Then he primed it with a regular store metal primer and used spray paint. That was some 9 years ago and when we gave it away 3 months ago, no sign of rust returning.
Since he hand sanded it, he took it in small slots of time, say 10-15 mins a day. We were not in a rush. I think he took perhaps 2 hours total sanding time over 2-3 weeks. In the interum, we were using it just fine.
He primed it with stuff you just paint on. Came time to spray, we just turned it off (not sure of sucking any of the spray in and it doesnt take long) then plugged it back in when done with the spray.
Sure, you can take the door off or the whoile unit to have it powder coated or done by a car-chop, but if you do not need that much perfection, it's easy to do at home.

Get a Kill A Watt meter and find out what it costs to run, those old units were energy hogs, You might get a 2 yr payback on a new unit.