1920's wiring....

On 10/27/2009 11:38 AM Existential Angst spake thus:

I claim sig material! (I'll try it out for a while to see if I like it.)

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

In "your" neck of the woods, in NY, you'd be pretty hard pressed to find a copper service entrance cable, conductors in conduit, yes, but cable no, not in the last thirty some odd years, and a ConEd service drop is aluminum, except for a steel strand in the bare messenger.

Reply to
RBM

Well, as you will. fyi, I will be running for office under the Indpendent Party of the Proctologically Violated (M)asses, so I could use a, uh, plug in yer sig.

As for experience, I am a founding member of ICNAL, the International Consortium for the Neutering of All Lawyers, and President of the American chapter, ANAL, Americans for the Neutering of All Lawyers.

I hope I have your support.

Reply to
Existential Angst

On 10/27/2009 2:45 PM Existential Angst spake thus:

Why? None of those are proper nouns. That's what I call "AOL-speak".

(I was a copy editor in another lifetime.)

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

Why? I thought the lead free scam was only on plumbing.

Reply to
Steve Barker

Mercury makes mad hatters. Maybe lead solder makes buttcrack plumbers?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Are you contributing to the moral decay of Usenet?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Many European countries have gone to lead free solder in their electronics. Give the electronics a few years and they grow what is called tin whiskers. This shorts out the circuits. You have to use the lead free solder to do a good repair on them.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Which is required in order to give the cable enough tensile strength to self support.

Reply to
clare

Nope - it's invaded electronics too - Most computers, TVs etc in the last 5 years are lead free - and a royal P.I.T.A. to repair because of it

Reply to
clare

The question is, is there such a thing as a "good repair" on them, using lead free solder??? In my experience, no. Using leaded solder to "patch" them is easier than using lead-free - and likely to last longer than a lead-free "repair"

Reply to
clare

It's funny, we started with copper, went to tinned copper, went back to copper, slid further back to effing aluminum (goodgawd), learned from that mistake and went back to copper again. Altho power companies use aluminum in parts of their service -- and steel!

Also, there are different grades of copper, wire supposedly being "electrical grade", which is among the higher grades, iiuc. Electrical grade copper commands a substantially higher scrap value than copper pipe, altho I don't know how a dealer would tell, if it were copper bar.

I wouldn't be surprised if wire is now a crappy grade of copper. Proly could tell by comparing the resistance of an old 500 ft spool to a new one -- if one could find an old spool.

Reply to
Existential Angst

who repairs electronics? LOL!

Reply to
Steve Barker

I'm glad I have my roll of Kestor five core solder. That particular roll I bought back in the 70's and it always works on anything electronic.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Which will soon join Latin.

Well, I don't hate them either. After all, I don't advocate killing them all, just neutering them. Whether they are issued anaesthesia would be an individual state's decision.

In fact, my various organizations are looking for a good lawyer -- neutered or un-neutered.

Hate toward lawyers is not reflexive, btw. It's generally a steady measured acquisition.

Reply to
Existential Angst

On 10/27/2009 5:44 PM Stormin Mormon spake thus:

Well, Jay-sus, I hope so!

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

On 10/27/2009 3:28 PM Existential Angst spake thus:

It's called standard English.

Sorry, no can do. Unlike most of the great ignorant Unwashed Masses(R)(TM), I don't reflexively hate lawyers.

To paraphrase what they useta say when I was a younger pup: In legal trouble? Call a hippie.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

A pediatrician I know (doctor for children) tells me that lead poisoning in kids is still a very real problem. Lead free paint and plumbing is a very real advantage.

I figure that circuit boards are not likely to be eaten, or much exposure to people. As such, that's plenty safe for my life.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Go with Satan, my son from the dark side.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I gave you the answer. The aerial drop triplex is alloy 1350 aluminum ... all 3 wires, along with virtually all aerial cable. That is what the alloy was designed for. It is also used in some aircraft construction.

Reply to
gfretwell