18v Rechargeable Battery

Is it best to run an 18v battery completely dead before recharging?? Or should I recharge it when it's low but not completely dead? This would be one of those Black & Decker batteries for all their battery operated tools.
From what I've heard, low but not totally dead. Some cells will exhaust first, and the weak cells will be damaged.
Is it best to run an 18v battery completely dead before recharging?? Or should I recharge it when it's low but not completely dead? This would be one of those Black & Decker batteries for all their battery operated tools.
On Tue, 31 Jul 2012 21:27:06 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"

For NiCds (probably what these are), not so low. ...but you're correct, recharge them at the first sign of the tool slowing. They can be topped off before storage, too, but not left in a (dumb) charger.
Thanks everybody, I appreciate the answers. I had been letting these 18v batteries go completely dead but I won't do that again. I've only charged them 2 or 3 times but I know now to recharge them when they're low. I never leave them in the charger plugged in either.
On Tue, 31 Jul 2012 18:23:02 -0700 (PDT), ItsJoanNotJoann

Never a good idea to run them all the way down. That is left over from the old ni-cad days of the 70's or so.

Aren't those tool batteries still ni-cad?
I know the cellphones and laptops have li-on, but not sure about the tools.......
On Wed, 01 Aug 2012 00:47:32 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@thecave.com wrote:

Some tools are, others have moved on. But even with the ni-card, technology has improved on both cells and chargers.
On Wed, 01 Aug 2012 00:47:32 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@thecave.com wrote:

There might still be ni-cads out there, but you're crazy if you buy one. Li-ion is *so* cool. More power/weight, stays full power until the very end-- and re-charges in 20 minutes.
Jim

Whoa...... I question the 20 min. recharge!!!!
My cellphone has a Li-ion battery and it takes well over an hour to recharge if it's fully drained. Probably closer to 2 hours.
On Wed, 01 Aug 2012 14:09:05 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@thecave.com wrote:

A 3C charge can certainly be done. My Bosch drills and drivers use a 2C (1/2 hour) charge. Your cell phone just has a wimpy charger. ;-)
On Wed, 01 Aug 2012 14:09:05 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@thecave.com wrote:

Oops-- 30 minutes according to the specs. http://www.boschtools.com/Products/Tools/Pages/BoschProductDetail.aspx?pid=PS130-2A#specs
I've never tested it as I can't run the other battery down in 30 minutes.
My milwaukee is the same- (Amazon.com product link shortened)
I can't get over how much power is in those tiny little 12v li-ions. I've had them 3-4 yrs now-- The chargers are apparently smart as I keep a battery in the charger and the batteries are still like new.
And I've left that impact driver sitting in a cold garage for 6 months and picked it up and used it. That doesn't happen with a ni-cad.
Jim
On Wed, 01 Aug 2012 00:47:32 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@thecave.com wrote:

Some are. Some are NiMH, some are LiIon. It wouldn't surprise me to see an odd SLAC in there, either.

Many tools have LiIon. They're usually clearly stated (marketed) as such. I have a couple of sets of Bosch drivers and drills that are LiIon. DeWalt makes both NiCd and LiIon batteries for their tools.
On Tue, 31 Jul 2012 18:23:02 -0700 (PDT), ItsJoanNotJoann
What technology?

Always before it's *completely* dead. NiCds and NiMH should never be run down to zero because they'll reverse charge. Recharging them often doesn't hurt them but they shouldn't be left on charge for long periods. LiIon is a little different. There is a limit to the number of charge cycles, no matter how deep they are. They shouldn't be recharged until it's needed to keep the cycles to a minimum.

*You should check the tool manual for charging. It varies according to the type of battery. I bought a Porter Cable drill last year with NiCad batteries which I had always thought needed to be run down before charging. However according to the manual the batteries can be recharged at any time.

The old "memory" problems with nicads seem to have been alleviated and now you don't have to completely discharge them before recharging. However, if you have nicads that are more than 4 or so years old, they might still have the memory problem.
On Wed, 1 Aug 2012 06:38:54 -0700 (PDT), "hr(bob) snipped-for-privacy@att.net"

There hasn't been a measurable "memory" problem in NiCds for thirty years. You *don't* want to over-charge them or run a pack down to zero. Either will damage them very quickly. Some have called these problems "memory effect" but it's far different and irreversible (unlike the true "memory effect").

NiCds are the easiest type to charge;you can charge by temp sensing or by deltaV. NiMH are a bit touchier,and Li-ion are the trickiest. NiCds are basically "use or lose",IMO. IMO,NiCds do best with a fast charger,1 hr or less.
But I prefer NiMH,they don't grow dendrites and short out like NiCd,and have a higher MAH than NiCd,and the ones I have seem to have a lower self- discharge rate. I've read that Li-ion only last about 3 years,they lose capacity with each discharge-charge cycle,no matter how you treat them. but you can charge Li- ion,leave them stored and months later pick up the tool and use it without first recharging.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

The self discharge rate is the reason I quit using NiMH batteries. They just wouldn't hold a charge worth a damn. Let a tool set a few weeks and it had to be recharged before use. A real PITA.