18V battery powered tools

I understand that--my first suggestion to the OP was to get his packs rebuilt...

But I disagree wholeheartedly w/ the "If your tool is 5 years old... it is likely that the existing replacement packs are also 5 years old. They stopped making the battery packs... when they released the new model, ..."

My point is that the OEMS do NOT in general cease making the battery packs for existing models when a new model is introduced; the continue w/ production of multiple voltages at any one time and even if a particular voltage is discontinued there will be new packs available for them for quite a long time.

It's marketing hype, granted, but imo very misleading hype.

--

Reply to
dpb

Ya know, one day someone will build a drill that runs on 120 volts.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

I can say this, battery capacity design etc has improved tremendously over the last few years. vfound after looking at replacing battery in some GPS units among others

primecell installs brand new latest design high capacity cells.

many companies build for a cheap price point with low capacity cells, or high capacity cells in a 5 year old design that are now low capacity in comparison with new premium cells of today.

manufactuers have zero incentive to improve battery packs for old units.

try some primecell rebuilds like I did and you will be amazed

Reply to
bob haller

dpb wrote in news:h2g577$jnt$ snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org:

When I got my 18v Ridgid set I think the batteries had a 3yr warranty at the time. All 3 batteries were not holding charge. Sent back. They sent 3 new batteries along with a new charger. New charger acted differently. Bad charger or bad design I guess.

Even though there was no charge, they itemized the repairs. It was like $10 less than what I paid for the complete full kit.

Reply to
Red Green

that made them look good..........

so your more likely to buy theirs again

Reply to
bob haller

Unless the technology improves tremendously, a 120 volt battery is going to be pretty cumbersome.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

The trouble is that the 120-volt power packs are so large that they have to be housed somewhere else and people have to use power cords to connect the tool to the power source. Not always very convenient.

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

That's reading something into it that it does _not_ say--what it specifically claims is that the packs were built and are aged...

"If you are considering the purchase of new battery packs from the original manufacturer.. remember this: If your tool is 5 years old... it is likely that the existing replacement packs are also 5 years old. They stopped making the battery packs..."

Not "the manufacturers may still be using the battery type of five years ago" but "the _EXISTING_REPLACEMENT_PACKS_ARE_ also 5 years old".

That's a pretty d--d explicit claim that is bogus backed up by the dates of manufacturer of OEM-supplied packs I have in hand.

Of course they included the typical pitchman "out" of adding the "it is likely" that allows them to weasel out of it being an out-and-out lie; it's always possible there's _some_ discontinued niche product out there _somewhere_ for which it's true the only remaining replacement supply is old, but that's relying on the nuance of the Clinton-esque "depends on what the mean of is is". Again, sure, it's just ad-talk but doesn't give me a warm fuzzy that they're on the up-and-up if they need such hyperbole to sell product.

Again, if they've done well, good; maybe satisfied customers could suggest they tone they claims down to something more realistic.

And, of course, the obligatory $0.02, etc., ...

Reply to
dpb

2 years hard use may be normal. Running a pack to low and charging it hot can hurt it, when the drill just slows its dead and needs recharging. Ridgid has a lifetime warranty even on batteries they say, I havnt needed it yet so I cant say how they honor it but its advertised. Rebuild your packs if drills are good.
Reply to
ransley