17mm socket on a 10mm bolt?

Don't forget to flush when you are done, and don't drip on the floor!!!

Reply to
clare

Hey, I don't do potty humor. Urinal kind of trouble, now.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Wrench size is dependent on bolt strength or grade. For UNC bolts, wrench size is 1.5 times the bolt diameter. For example, 3/8-16 course thread bol t, grade 3 or 5 is =1.5*3/8 or =3/8 + 3/16 which equals a 9/16" wrench. For a 1" bolt, again grade 3 or 5, the wrench size is 1.5 times diameter or 1.5 times 1" which is a 1 1/2" wrench. For extra heavy nuts, or 2H nuts , add 1/8" to wrench size. For example, a 5/8" bolt with a 2H nut will req uire a wrench sized as follows: 1.5 times 5/8 or 15/16" plus 1/8" or a 1 1 /16" wrench. Metric bolts are somewhat the same, as wrench size is dependent on bolt str ength.

Reply to
awilson

A 10mm head on a 10mm diameter bolt would be useless in most situations, no?

Reply to
devnull

A 7/16 bolt is a bit odd. The bolt takes a 5/8 wrench while the nut is 11/16. I think those are grade 5.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

snipped-for-privacy@nucortusk.com wrote in news:0b408e22-a52d-414b-82cc-1416513f8306 @googlegroups.com:

It isn't the bolts that are confused, it's micky. Bolt size is the bolt diameter, not the head size.

1/4" bolts have 7/16" heads, for example -- the head size is *always* larger than the shaft diameter, else the head wouldn't be of much use, would it?
Reply to
Doug Miller

It would if it were a set screw.

nb

Reply to
notbob

nutjob wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mid.individual.net:

But then it wouldn't be a bolt.

*Do* try to pay attention.
Reply to
Doug Miller

That ain't nuthin'! Take a look at the way them stoopid plummers f***ed up pipe sizes. OMFG!

Reply to
Kenny

To say nothing of the sexual problems I get into with plumbing projects. It would be better if the fittings were all bisexual and would mate with anything.

Reply to
rbowman

Well what about a set screw with a hex head no larger than the shaft. I might even have seen one once, but if not, it could be made. ;-)

Reply to
micky

Are you saying that head size is dependent on bolt strength, and thus wrench size will be diffeent when head size is different?

Reply to
micky

Just keep your bisexual hands off my ballcock!

Reply to
Jerry.Tan

7/16 is kind of an oddball bolt size. Small hardware stores dont even stock them! They skip from 3/8 to 1/2. Yet I've had to buy 7/16 bolts several times and had to shop around to find them.
Reply to
Jerry.Tan

micky posted for all of us...

Try it, it won't work. Draw a circle, put a hex inside it of the same diameter. There will be no shoulder strength. Applying the hex head wrench will twist off the "castle". May as well put a slot in and use a flat blade screwdriver, they are made for light applications but one can put plenty of torque on a screwdriver and mangle it. The reason hex heads are used because one can get more clamping force without cam out.

Reply to
Tekkie®

rbowman posted for all of us...

How could one identify the male/female parts? Take it the veterinarian

Reply to
Tekkie®

rbowman posted for all of us...

Hit send too fast.. Lot of heing and sheing going on in this.

Reply to
Tekkie®

micky posted for all of us...

a wrench sized as follows: 1.5 times 5/8 or 15/16" plus 1/8" or a 1 1/16" wrench.

Instead of asking here DAGS and learn something and don't be critical of people trying to help you.

Reply to
Tekkie®

He made the statement. It won't hurt him to say what he meant by it.

What was critical?

Reply to
micky

Whether or not it's a bolt was never the issue. You sed "else the head wouldn't be of much use, would it?" Never mind..........

Reply to
notbob