17mm socket on a 10mm bolt?

Page 3 of 4
On 10/31/2011 8:48 PM, micky wrote:

And you sound like an idiot.
<plonk>
On Mon, 31 Oct 2011 22:48:27 -0400, Doug Miller

I thought you'd have a sense of hurmor about this.
It was a very nice post. Thank you, Tegger.
On Monday, October 31, 2011 at 3:56:08 PM UTC-5, micky wrote:

Wrench size is dependent on bolt strength or grade. For UNC bolts, wrench size is 1.5 times the bolt diameter. For example, 3/8-16 course thread bol t, grade 3 or 5 is =1.5*3/8 or =3/8 + 3/16 which equals a 9/16" wrench. For a 1" bolt, again grade 3 or 5, the wrench size is 1.5 times diameter or 1.5 times 1" which is a 1 1/2" wrench. For extra heavy nuts, or 2H nuts , add 1/8" to wrench size. For example, a 5/8" bolt with a 2H nut will req uire a wrench sized as follows: 1.5 times 5/8 or 15/16" plus 1/8" or a 1 1 /16" wrench. Metric bolts are somewhat the same, as wrench size is dependent on bolt str ength.
On 08/25/2015 02:27 AM, snipped-for-privacy@nucortusk.com wrote:

A 10mm head on a 10mm diameter bolt would be useless in most situations, no?

A 7/16 bolt is a bit odd. The bolt takes a 5/8 wrench while the nut is 11/16. I think those are grade 5.

On Tue, 25 Aug 2015 07:27:19 -0500, "Dean Hoffman"

7/16 is kind of an oddball bolt size. Small hardware stores dont even stock them! They skip from 3/8 to 1/2. Yet I've had to buy 7/16 bolts several times and had to shop around to find them.
snipped-for-privacy@nucortusk.com wrote in

It isn't the bolts that are confused, it's micky. Bolt size is the bolt diameter, not the head size. 1/4" bolts have 7/16" heads, for example -- the head size is *always* larger than the shaft diameter, else the head wouldn't be of much use, would it?

It would if it were a set screw.
nb

But then it wouldn't be a bolt.
*Do* try to pay attention.
In alt.home.repair, on Tue, 25 Aug 2015 23:34:35 +0000 (UTC), Doug

Well what about a set screw with a hex head no larger than the shaft. I might even have seen one once, but if not, it could be made. ;-)
micky posted for all of us...

Try it, it won't work. Draw a circle, put a hex inside it of the same diameter. There will be no shoulder strength. Applying the hex head wrench will twist off the "castle". May as well put a slot in and use a flat blade screwdriver, they are made for light applications but one can put plenty of torque on a screwdriver and mangle it. The reason hex heads are used because one can get more clamping force without cam out.
--
Tekkie

Whether or not it's a bolt was never the issue. You sed "else the head wouldn't be of much use, would it?" Never mind..........

Really? Maybe you ought to check the title of the thread. The subject is bolts. Not set screws.
*Do* try to pay attention next time.
On Tue, 25 Aug 2015 12:47:01 +0000 (UTC), Doug Miller

Not "always" - 12 point heads on "header bolts" and some cyl head bolts can be the same size as the bolt thread diameter - but they are "flanged" bolts. Some old "plough bolts" also used a square heas the same size across flats as the thread size.
On Monday, October 31, 2011 at 3:56:08 PM UTC-5, micky wrote:

That ain't nuthin'! Take a look at the way them stoopid plummers fucked up pipe sizes. OMFG!
On 08/25/2015 05:59 PM, Kenny wrote:

To say nothing of the sexual problems I get into with plumbing projects. It would be better if the fittings were all bisexual and would mate with anything.

Just keep your bisexual hands off my ballcock!
rbowman posted for all of us...

How could one identify the male/female parts? Take it the veterinarian
--
Tekkie

On 08/26/2015 02:35 PM, Tekkie® wrote:

Like a guinea pig? When I was a kid I had a male and bought an alleged female. I had visions of litters of guinea pigs to sell. After a fwe months I concluded they were gay little piggies.
rbowman posted for all of us...

Hit send too fast.. Lot of heing and sheing going on in this.
--
Tekkie