17mm socket on a 10mm bolt?

I wonder if this is why my old car rattled.

Reply to
micky

Apparently you have very little, if any, experience with wrenches and bolts.

No.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Which is exactly the same as having a head with flats that are 1/2" across.

It doesn't, by the way. The head is *always* larger than the diameter of the bolt.

Reply to
Doug Miller

And you sound like an idiot.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Ha! Check some other tool Mfgs, like Snap-On, Mac and all those, and you'll find Craftsman is a pretty good deal.

So if you work with a lot of 11/32" stuff, go get a socket or two... perhaps a 1/4" drive 6pt standard and deep (Being so small, I'm not so sure they're even made in 3/8" drive). An 11/32" combination wrench, and/or long box end that includes that size, and your set up for most anything. They won't run you much, add them to your set, and with minimal care will out last you and the shed many times over.

Even though the shed may require a lot of 11/32" stuff, all in all it's really not a very common size nationwide. 1/4" and 5/16" by far surpass it as the head size for smaller screw wrench sizes.

Erik

PS, All this 11/16" stuff is hex head right? If not, get 8pt sockets. Last I looked, a couple of years ago now, Craftsman still carried them.

Reply to
Erik

You mean you are just NOW finding out there are metric bolts out there? Amazing! Even more amazing is that you weren't aware that inch bolt wrenches measure the same way.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

The metric system, once acclimated to, is so much simpler and straight forward that it isn't even funny. It makes it VERY easy to figure things in your head.

My only trivial complaint is that the Celsius degree is a tad large for some things... but I can easily deal with that.

Erik

Reply to
Erik

Like why do 7/16" bolts have 5/8" heads and their nuts take a 11/16th ??

Reply to
Steve Barker

That's not it, but I do have a very bad memory for numbers. Even 5 seconds is enough time to forget them.

Reply to
micky

I thought you'd have a sense of hurmor about this.

It was a very nice post. Thank you, Tegger.

Reply to
micky

Same reason that if you have a double-open-end wrench set, the wrench with 5/8" on one end will likely not have 11/16" on the other - so that for most common combinations of bolt and nut you will be able to tighten the assembly with only one wrench set.

nate

Reply to
N8N

Some of the SAE sized hardware from China is being manufactured from metric hex stock in the case of nuts: I have some 1/4-20 nuts with 10 mm flats. Normally these would be 7/16" or 11 mm. The plating is pretty good, though. And they were quite low priced.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

Standard size nut for #8-32 machine screw nut. Part of any decent

1/4" drive socket set or nutdriver set. Or you can always use a 4" crescent wrench. Or like a friend of mine does - he drives them with his little electric dril - 3 jaw chucks work great on hex nuts.
Reply to
clare

I don't get how someone can't understand that why an M10 bolt doesn't use a 10mm wrench!!! Did you ever saw a bolt that had a same size head as the shaft??? Ex:1/2" bolt (shaft) with a 1/2" head! Man I think you need to stop turning wrenches before you kill someone!

Reply to
vdubviktor

Jut got home from driving on the parkway.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Did you park in the driveway?

Reply to
hah

Have to be a foot away from the road, or I get toed.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Did you park in the driveway?

Reply to