17mm socket on a 10mm bolt?

Page 1 of 4
I finally bought the trailer hitch for my Solara and it came with M10 -1.25 x 30mm bolts. So how come I need to use the 17mm socket on a 10mm bolt?
SAE bolts aren't this confused.

makes sense to me. The wrench size is the distance across the flats, the nominal size of the bolt is related to the size of the threads. SAE works the exact same way. e.g. a 3/8-16 UNC bolt or cap screw typically requires a 9/16" wrench to tighten.
The only exception that I'm aware of is Whitworth, although I'm sure that someone will correct me with an even more obscure example.
nate

Maybe you're right. Maybe I didnt' notice because SAE bolts are the right kind of bolts, and not these alien bolts they sent me today. Why can't they protect our border better?
Thanks.

On Mon, 31 Oct 2011 17:35:43 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"

...and even worse; the metric system!

On Mon, 31 Oct 2011 16:55:59 -0500, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

Exactly.
Inches for defense, not one millymeter for tribute.

And to think that there was consideration of official adoption of the metric system back when Thomas Jefferson was President. How much simpler things would be if the chang was done then, before industrialization. The country was still in a rebellious mood when a national currency based on the decimal system was adopted, but by Jefferson's time had already turned conservative enough that a change to metric was defeated.
plausible, and wrong." (H L Mencken)
snipped-for-privacy@sdf.lNoOnSePsAtMar.org (Larry W) wrote:

The metric system, once acclimated to, is so much simpler and straight forward that it isn't even funny. It makes it VERY easy to figure things in your head.
My only trivial complaint is that the Celsius degree is a tad large for some things... but I can easily deal with that.
Erik

You mean you are just NOW finding out there are metric bolts out there? Amazing! Even more amazing is that you weren't aware that inch bolt wrenches measure the same way.
Harry K

Whitworth AND BSF used thread size nomenclature for their wrenches instead of AF size
On 10/31/2011 2:04 PM, N8N wrote:

Like why do 7/16" bolts have 5/8" heads and their nuts take a 11/16th ??
--
Steve Barker

Same reason that if you have a double-open-end wrench set, the wrench with 5/8" on one end will likely not have 11/16" on the other - so that for most common combinations of bolt and nut you will be able to tighten the assembly with only one wrench set.
nate

They certainly are. What size socket do you use on a 1/4" bolt? The advantage of metric is you don't have 29/32 and other little used sizes.

16mm?
On Mon, 31 Oct 2011 18:01:06 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"

11/16 is "close enough" to 17mm for most assemblies. A 17mm is just a tad too small for an 11/16" nut.

Except for such oddball sizes as 9mm.

1/4" No?

7/16"

On Mon, 31 Oct 2011 22:02:38 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I wonder if this is why my old car rattled.

On 10/31/2011 8:44 PM, micky wrote:

Apparently you have very little, if any, experience with wrenches and bolts.
No.
On Mon, 31 Oct 2011 22:46:20 -0400, Doug Miller

That's not it, but I do have a very bad memory for numbers. Even 5 seconds is enough time to forget them.