175 sq ft home

Page 1 of 2

"[NEW YORK] Zaarath and Christopher Prokop -- and their two cats -- live in the smallest apartment in the city, a 175-square-foot "microstudio" in Morningside Heights the couple bought three months ago for $150,000 [$857/sq ft]."
With pic and detailed floor plan http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/manhattan/cozy_crazy_couple_makes_tight_studio_R15ToNFTaJE3c17zkw4efP#ixzz0ZJoUHSNa
Add pictures here
βœ–

"Honey, I need some time alone. I'll be in my…ummm…side of the room."
Add pictures here
βœ–

Wow. The amount of money they piss away on restaurants must be epic. They could probably afford a "real" apt. if they actually cooked their food instead of eating all meals out. Their "maintenance fee" is more than my mortgage payment AND my taxes, yet their entire apartment would fit in my living room. And my house is only 1800 sq ft. I think keeping two cats in a space that small amounts to animal cruelty. Those people are nuts.
Add pictures here
βœ–
These people remind me of a couple in CA who had a mudslide destroy their home years ago. The guy looked dejected, but the woman had this manic smile on her face while she shoveled broken glass and 3 feet of mud out of her living room. She turned to the camera and said, "Well, I'd MUCH rather be shoveling broken glass than snow!" Umm, okaaaay, she'd rather shovel glass and mud out of her HOUSE than shovel snow on the SIDEWALK? Really? I got the same vibe from the 175sq ft hamster cage couple. Weird, creepy, and out of touch with normal.
Add pictures here
βœ–

There's a great quote around: The problem with people is that they will get used to anything.
I might add, Or rationalize anything.
And, it's not so much that these two hamsters opt for a certain kind of wheel-spinning lifestyle. What gets me more is that they willingly allow some real estate predator to gouge them for the privilege of living in a rat cage. Along with lost general sensibilities, we seem to have lost any sense of justice or of "what is correct".
The whole country rationalizes economic rape. It's just recently, when the rape occurs with a fishhook, that we start to complain.
--
EA

βœ–

2 people 2 cats in a 14 x 12.5 ft room all winter, it must smell nice.
Add pictures here
βœ–

Well...as long as they dump the litter and replace it with fresh every single day (or scoop it several times a day) it should be fine. I prefer 1.5 cats per box (two boxes for every three cats), but 2 cats to one box is ok. Hell, they don't have room for more than one box. And they have to feed the cats ON the counter? I guess that's ok, since they never have any food there. Again, those people are crazy.
Add pictures here
βœ–

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/manhattan/cozy_crazy_couple_makes_tight_studio_R15ToNFTaJE3c17zkw4efP#ixzz0ZJoUHSNa
"Maybe I'll just get Christmas-tree pajamas and wear them around," laughed Zaarath. "That'll be good."
They could use a wall bed and get another inch or two of space :-/
Add pictures here
βœ–

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/manhattan/cozy_crazy_couple_makes_tight_studio_R15ToNFTaJE3c17zkw4efP#ixzz0ZJoUHSNa
So they live in a 'house' that is smaller than either one of my 'garden sheds'. But. . . upper Manhattan for $150K ain't bad. People pay a lot more than that for a parking space.
"The couple will pay off their mortgage in two years, . . . . They will then be saddled only with their maintenance fee, which is just over $700 a month.
Don't know which is more beyond my comprehension - that they only will have a 2 yr mortgage-- or that their 'rent' will still be $700. Do you still have property taxes in a co-op- or is that part of the maintenance fees?
Jim
Add pictures here
βœ–
Jim Elbrecht wrote:

think hoa fees. you still have property taxes. maint fees are for everything from your wall paint outwards in your condo.
Add pictures here
βœ–

I'm not so sure...
Excerpted from:
http://www.bankrate.com/brm/news/real-estate/condos1.asp
"Condo or co-op? What's the difference?"
Property taxes: Because condos are owned individually, they appear in the property tax rolls as separate entities and, accordingly, individual owners are taxed separately.
The entire property co-op is owned by the corporation, so it appears on the tax rolls as a single piece of property. The corporation pays the property taxes and passes along the cost to the tenant- shareholders, usually as part of the monthly maintenance fee.
Add pictures here
βœ–

in
[$857/sq
http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/manhattan/cozy_crazy_couple_makes_tight_studio_R15ToNFTaJE3c17zkw4efP#ixzz0ZJoUHSNa
Nothing new, think of the folks that live in a travel trailer.
--

Roger Shoaf

βœ–

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/manhattan/cozy_crazy_couple_makes_tight_studio_R15ToNFTaJE3c17zkw4efP#ixzz0ZJoUHSNa
I could live there alone with maybe an aquarium, but the cats have to go. But for that moany you can almost buy a mansion here in Tennessee.
Add pictures here
βœ–
Phisherman wrote:

Agreed. But IMHO, anybody who voluntarily lives in Manhattan is insane by definition. (Of course, maybe they have never been off the island and simply don't know any better. They did a survey once, and a surprising percentage of 20-somethings had never been elsewhere. It just never came up, and since they live at the center of the known universe, they had no reason to be curious.)
-- aem sends...
Add pictures here
βœ–
aemeijers wrote:

reading the article, they started in the south, moved to jersey, moved to a new apt in ny, then here. downsizing every time. pretty soon they'll be in a cardboard box.
Add pictures here
βœ–

re: pretty soon they'll be in a cardboard box.
I wonder what the maintenance fees are for a cardboard box in Manhattan.
Add pictures here
βœ–
DerbyDad03 wrote:

Didn't The City of New York try some of those hi-tech automated restrooms at one time? Two legged critters took up residence in them and turned the program into an expensive boondoggle, that experience could give you an idea of the cost of upkeep of a tiny abode in Manhattan. *snicker*
TDD
Add pictures here
βœ–

Personal Christmas Card
http://i48.tinypic.com/2emn71t.jpg
Add pictures here
βœ–

I think I saw a whole trailer parks here for around that.
Add pictures here
βœ–
Phisherman wrote:

Hell yes! $150,000 down and $700/month forever (+ increase for inflation) I think out in western TN you can still find 150 acres for $150,000.
Add pictures here
βœ–