Subject Author Posted Replies

Emergency power system for one perosn: Generator or battery system?
I live in north Missouri where ice storms can readily happen..... and knock power out I also live alone and in rented duplex....so my needs for power are smaller and require more portability than...
88
88

Sump pump issues
Well it's at it again. We got a new sump pump and now it's doing the same thing the old one was doing. The water level in the pit is low, but high enough to trip the pump. That's fine the...
15
15

garage door not closing
My gargae door started not going down all the way a few days ago but not all the time. Last night I tried to adjust the lasers on each side now it doesn't go past the bend at the top of the track....
13
13

MOLE HELP
any good tips on catching moles that dig up the yard? ----------------------------------------------------------------
25
25

Making tile grout mildew resistant
Is there an additive like M-1 (used in paint) that can be added to grout to help make it mildew resistant? I have actually emailed the maker of M-1 but have not heard back yet.
4
4

What is that devide in my water supply line?
Hi, This is related to the earlier post where I was asking about replacing valves on my water supply line. Here's a picture of what that area looks like: know what the #4 copper wire is for, but...
33
33

Adding Outlet to Gas Range
My old gas range had a duplex outlet mounted in the upper frame. There is no accessible outlet near the range and I used the range outlet for my slow cooker, bread machine etc. It kept the machines...
12
12

replace chain switch on fan motor
I have a large Patton fan and the pull chain switch used to select on-off-high-low needs to be replaced. I've removed the long screws that hold the front and back covers on the motor and these...

Why are ceiling lights flashing?
In my sun room I have 4 recessed lights with 75 or 100 watt bulbs. These are connected to a dimmer. In the winter months, I have a cigar out there, and have a 1500 watt quartz heater in front of me, a...
26
26

plumbing air pressure test
I am adding a walk-in shower with rainshower head mounted from ceiling, 4 body sprays mounted in the wall, a handheld body wand, an exact temp control valve, and 3 volume control valves . I have 3/4"...
13
13

Inner peace to you on the Holidays
On my way out the door to go to Hawaii. Behave yourselves until I get back. I am passing this on to you because it definitely worked for me today, and we all could probably use more calm in our lives!...
3
3

hard wired smoke detector
I have a hardwired smoke detector that came with my house. When doing some home projects (and some cooking) the detector goes off and there doesn't seem to be any way to turn it off. It just...
6
6

exercising an emergency generator
Most folks I know who have emergency generators run them once a month or so. I just got one [lost power for a week last week] and note that the manual says once a *week*. [Briggs and Stratton 5500...
49
49

Question on home wiring
I would like to run some new outlets in my garage. There is currently a subpanel located there, the run will be fairly short. I have a section of armored cable which was left over from work at my...
28
28

proposed HOA formation
One of my neighbors came by the other day and asked that I sign a Christmas card and chip in for a gift card for another neighbor, Mike. It turns out that Mike is the guy who's been mowing the big...
28
28