Subject Author Posted Replies

Wire brush type
I've used a steel wire brush to get rust off auto parts for years. When the last one wore out I went to Harbor Frt to get another one. They had steel ones for $8 and Brass for $3. So I bought the...
8
8

Plastic electrical boxes.
I know that all pros hate those plastic electrical boxes, but I' have been using them anyway. Having put up drywall, I have just for the first time realized that the notches that mark how far out...
23
23

Electrical outlets and switches screws
Hi, I keep losing the screws from outlets and switches, even when they have those little tags to prevent them from being lost. Can you tell me what standard size and thread density those screws are....
9
9

How big to make a niche for the refridgerator?
Hi, I'm building the refridgerator niche in my new kitchen. What's the appropriate gap to have on either side? I was going to make it 1/2" on either side, but am now wondering whether a larger...
9
9

Popcorn ceiling
There are a couple of spots on my popcorn ceiling that lost its pop. Can I repair this with spackle and a sponge or do they sell somehthing more specific for this.? Thanks.
9
9

Pipe dope on steam heat fittings?
I recently bought a house that has a one-pipe steam heat system. It was a vacant bank-owned property that I bought as-is, and I will be renting the property out. I never had steam heat before. The...
9
9

Which Air Purifier?
Hi, During holiday season a smoker visited us. For such an occasion we'd like to keep an effective air purifier(I can't ask him to go outside to smoke in -30C weather). Is there one good at...
31
31

Self-limiting heat tape???
Anybody have distributor source for self-limiting heat tape of the trim-to-length variety? All been able to find locally include thermostats, etc., making them quite pricey ( > $20 ea) as compared to...
7
7

Removing linoleum
I have tiled our master bedroom with ceramic tiles to replace an old carpet, and it came out looking very nice. Now I need to do the same with the master bathroom, and there is my problem. The current...
25
25

The ultimate in tool storage?
the bed! The ultimate in tool storage? The best have been able to achieve being an old sofa adajacent to electronics repair bench (for thinking?). Problem is that sofa is loaded down with boxes of...

eden pure
OMG this is hilarious. Autymn (sp?) is a complete moron. As an electrical engineer, I can tell you with 100% certainty that all electric heaters are 100% efficient. And efficiency is the ratio of...
8
8

Heat your home with coal
"Coals vary in quality, but on average, a ton of coal contains about as much potential heat as 146 gallons of heating oil or 20,000 cubic feet of natural gas, according to the Energy Information...
60
60

Remove possible mildew
Our kitchen sink pipes broke. The pipes are fixable; however, I have no idea what's happening between the bottom of the sink and the floor. I'm not a carpenter and would prefer not to hire...
8
8

Car generator to power house
It can be done - if you're smug enough.
126
126

Grommets as drain holes in canvas awning?
We installed a large retractable awning over the patio a few years ago. It works well except for one problem. If the awning is extended when it rains, the canvas gets wet, sags, and a lot of rain...
33
33