Subject Author Posted Replies

Gas Furnace - what parts to stock for emergencies?
What parts are good to keep on hand for a gas furnace? I have 2 Trane/ American Standard gas furnaces in the basement, about 7 years old. I just replaced the pressure switches, and the ignitor on one...
24
24

OT: Hats for Adults Use Only??
I was in Lowe's yesterday and picked up a few acrylic knit hats (what we called Watch Caps in the Navy). I planned to give one to my toddler grandson but noticed the label inside the hat said...
15
15

Running a sprinkler line under a sidewalk?
When new sidewalks were put in our area, the contractor extended the sprinkler system under the sidewalk to cover the swale area. But he connected that area to just one of the existing zones and...
8
8

window question
I have a old farm house with wood windows and 6 pains in each top and bottom, not new but very old I installed plastic on the inside and have pretty good storms on the outside, why do I have ice on...
7
7

The year we lose our TV signals
Welcome to 2009. The year we lose our TV signals. What a way to start the year, knowing in another month and a half, we will lose our tv reception, unless we subscribe to costly cable or satellite tv....
281
281

big big bag
After you're done laughing at this... I rake up leaves and have wished I had one big huge bag. I tried gluing, stapling and taping a poly sheet at the edges, but it never held. Any ideas? (PS - I...
19
19

Aluminum storm windows, glazing
Greetings, I belong to a little brick bungalow in the midwest US, built in 1954, poured-concrete foundation. Original aluminum windows with inside pane, screen, and storm pane. I've not seen any...
10
10

Wall hooks without wall damage
I would like to hang some plaques, pictures and misc on a few walls but I really hate the idea of penetrating the wall with anchors, screws and/or nails. Being that the wall is paneling, the...
19
19

replacement window leak?
I had a bunch of windows replaced in my house. Generally I think they were put in fine. However, in my bedroom, there are three windows right next to each other, seperated by the framing. I notice...
2
2

Should I replace blown in insulation when installing attic floor?
My house has an unfinished attic with a partial floor (maybe 1/8 of the attic currently has a floor). I am quickly running out of storage space and would like to put down some simple plywood on top of...
13
13

retrofit los angeles
Due to earthquake in los angeles i have building with soft story conditions also there were 2 tucks under apartments. so it did poorly in earthquake i need to fix them. plz provide me the related...
3
3

Troubleshooting a small LCD TV
We have a Zenith L15V26D TV in the kitchen. It crapped out yesterday. We were watching it, and it simply lost power. It can't be turned on by the button or the remote. Of course I checked the GFI...
6
6

Black vinyl gutters
Does anyone know where to get black vinyl gutters and downspouts in the US? I can get brown and white all day long, but other colors seam to be non-existent. Lou
6
6

Seventeen Pounds
That's how much the opossum oweighed! Caught him Monday night. Meanwhile, my son had a small emergency: A young outdoor cat suffered a "glove" wound, seemingly at the hands (so to speak) of two...
28
28

Where did this go?
> Our old wooden garage door is not in good shape. Saturday we went and had a look at the Clopay doors at the local HD and got a price including installation. In the course of conversation I said,...
2
2