Subject Author Posted Replies

Higher flow solenoid for fridge water dispanser?
I'm trying to increase the flow of water through the water dispenser in my fridge door. I've narrowed the problem down to the solenoid at the back of the fridge that only has 1/4" tubing ports...
8
8

Ceinling Fan is Gone
I removed a ceiliing fan in a room that it should never have been in. The ceiling is too low in that room for such a hefty fan;And it made a huge difference. Now the ceiling looks high and the room...
12
12

ELECTRIC HOT WATER HEATER---REPLACE ???
Hi all, My 80 gallon electric hot water heater's lower heating element has burned out for the second time. It burned out about 8 years ago, and I replaced it then. The heater is about 18 years old...
6
6

Mobil 1 oil and generator
What are the opinions of using the Mobil 1 5w30 in a small (5 kw) home generator ?
34
34

Dishwasher problems
We have a Maytag tall tub dishwasher that we bought in July 2007. About a month ago, I noticed that the "clean" LED would sometimes not light up and sometimes light up dimly. The problem got worse and...
2
2

I can't afford to pay for the repairs (2023 Update)
I'm a professional handyman. I have my own business, called Jim's Handyman Service. I have been in business for many years. But lately the work is slim due to the economy. This has allowed me to do...
23
23

Small engine repair question
I hope I'm in the right NG. I have a 36" exmark metro walk-behind mower. It has the Kawasaki 460v- s14 engine. It is very hard to start. First I dis-assembled the carb and blew out all passages....
8
8

Update on HF Multi-Master
The bits/blades for the Dremel Multi-Max fit the Harbor Freight clone (Multifunction Tool). Furthermore, the Dremel package says the bit also fits: * Fein Multi-Master 636 * Bosch Multi-X PS50 - The...
5
5

Windows
My house was built in 1988. As far as I know, the windows were bought from Lowe's. Today, my son's dog chewed up a window ledge or sill (inside). It appears that the piece that needs to be...
11
11

rewiring humidifier control
Hi all, I have an old Aprilaire powered humidifier connected to my furnace, which is an old Ruud 90+ gas unit. Currently the humidifier is enabled whenever the fan is running. I assume that there is a...
21
21

Quarter turn shutoff valves
I often find that oldish shutoff valves (toilet, sinks, garden hose) around the house have a tendency to go leaky if they are turned on or off after they are about 20 or 30 years old. Leaky in the...
14
14

Gas dryer no heat in Perm Press cycle
GE standard gas dryer about 7 years old. It has 3 cycles: Perm press, cotton, and timed. When on Perm press, the gas never ignites, however in the other 2 cycles the gas comes on fine. What could it...

Thought for the day: Houses are like cats
Houses are like cats: We think we own them, but in fact they own us. Perce
4
4

Gas Furnace - what parts to stock for emergencies?
What parts are good to keep on hand for a gas furnace? I have 2 Trane/ American Standard gas furnaces in the basement, about 7 years old. I just replaced the pressure switches, and the ignitor on one...
24
24

OT: Hats for Adults Use Only??
I was in Lowe's yesterday and picked up a few acrylic knit hats (what we called Watch Caps in the Navy). I planned to give one to my toddler grandson but noticed the label inside the hat said...
15
15