Subject Author Posted Replies

what to do if furnace conks out
rent space heaters
21

boiler required a reset
I noticed that the house temp was 8 degrees below what the thermostat was set for. It has been a frigid spell here for the past days, so the boiler has been running a lot lately. I went to the cellar...
1
1

Primer under Tile??
I'm redoing the bathroom which had 4 inch tile around the bathtub. I managed to get them all off without seriously damaging the walls, which are plaster. All the walls have had the paint removed...
5
5

CFL bulbs -- how bright for how long.
My attention has just been drawn to the following document: that although the original report is older, this .PDF includes supplements through 2005. This seems to show that Osram/Sylvania have the...
18
18

Painting Ceiling in Kitchen
Hi, I have a question for you paint experts. We have a 2 year old house and we needed to repaint the kitchen ceiling due to a very minor water damage. (that's not the issue) What a nightmare ! 3...
31
31

battery leakage
I left batteries in a radio and just found that some tan crusty stuff accumulated is on one of the negative contacts. I guess that battery leaked and dried. It seems I can scrape it off with some...
8
8

Insulating a garage
Hi, Tip query here. One of the delayed projects (not renter damae this time, origonal construction), is to insulate the garage. It has no insulation at all right now except at the wall to the house....
15
15

Two TV's showing the same thing?
Hi, We are remodeling the kitchen, and the stove and the sink are pointing in different directions. My wife likes having the TV on and occasionally glancing up (when Ross and Rachel get it on). Is it...
11
11

Kitchen Wood Floor really cold in Winter
Our house is at around 70*F temperature, but the kitchen hardwood floor gets really cold. One of my friends suggested that since the garage is right below the kitchen, its possible the garage is not...
8
8

Centex Townhome - Heat/Cool Channeling Issue
We are in a townhome that has 3 levels, and the heat/cooling ducts run in 2 levels (on the ceiling in the bedrooms upstairs, and under the floor on the living area). Centex provided a lever in the...
1
1

Steam out of chimney? ? ?
A little history is necessary: In 1995 our 80-year-old six-unit apartment building replaced our furnace-boiler. From the start steam came out of the chimney. That seemed to grow worse until 2004, when...
13
13

How to shoot foam into this gap.
Hi, In the following picture, you are looking at a gap between my roof (with a skylight) and an interior stone wall (which used to be exterior before the addition). The roof structure is old and the...
8
8

What to do about this stone?
Hi, Remodeling my kitchen, have part of what used to be an external wall (before a prev owner built an addition) exposed. It looks like this: would like to leave to fix it up and leave it exposed. Can...
9
9

Carpet estimate
I pulled up some 2' square super commercial (like $40/yd) carpet that got wet from hurricane Ike. It was, of course, glued down and had been for a couple of years. But the glue was more like...
1
1

Water heater temperature regulation
I had a new GE 40 gal gas water heater installed, replacing an old unit. We noticed right away that the water temperature in the shower often needs adjustment when we step in the shower (after the...
19
19