Subject Author Posted Replies

OT why ar hemis powerful?
OT An interest in hemi engines stirred me, and I found this site gave as the advantage of the hemi that 2 valves could be placed opposite each other, instead of next to each other, and thus could be...
36
36

Warped French Door
I have a single French door between my kitchen and dining room. Over the years, it has become warped. (It will still close) Is there any way to straighten it out, or should I install a new one.
3
3

bad plumbing in the valley
2
2

oil burner rumbling on start and stop
the furnace guy was just here a few days ago doing maintenance. He adjusted the flame height by eye, no instrument. Today I suddenly noticed a loud rumbling both when the burner starts and stops. I...
3
3

welding/gluing stainless
Hi all, have one of those corner pole caddy things in my bathroom, actually just bought it not long ago. However, within a day or two of putting it up I noticed that the rod to hang a washcloth from...
12
12

Another weird thing
I have a 4 inch pvc vent pipe that goes from the basement , through the attic and out the roof. Sticks up about 3 feet. When the wind blows it vibrates or sings. I can hear it vibrate in the bathroom...
14
14

Vacuum Cleaner Repair
We own the following vacuum cleaner: agitator brush got clogged, and the unit overheated. After cleaning the agitator, it powers up and seems work fine until the agitator comes into contact with the...
4
4

Refinishing dining room table? ? ?
We have a rather nice mahogany dining room table that is beginning to need refinishing after 30 years of reasonably careful use. I'm thinkng of doing this job myself. I have a hand sander. A few...
14
14

hot water heater issue
Renter here in a 1960's home. (I'm the one with loose electric outlets.) I have my gas hot water heater set on the arrow which I assume is average hot. When I shower, I don't turn on any...
32
32

Wood burning
Been burning wood since last fall. My chimney is getting all black on the outside. Why is that? Not that much build up on the inside.
7
7

This is the cheapest mansion (not a large house, but a mansion) I've ever seen for sale ($184,900)
$184,900 Oneonta, NY
12
12

Blowing a fan on a radiator
Hi, We have one old style radiator that's just not releasing all its heat. The return pipe is just as hot as the supply pipe. So, not that it's such a great idea from the cost perspective, but...
6
6

How to clean vent for dryer
About 8 years ago, someone came out and cleaned our vent to the dryer since it was clogged. My vent begins in the laundry room and travels about 30 feet and exits out the wall on the side of my home....
18
18

Software for Orbit 57932 Touch Screen Sprinkler Timer?
I recenlt purchased the Orbit 12 station sprinkler timer. Looks great, but they have discontinued the software online. Does anyone have a copy of this software for use with the unit they would share?...
1
1

window gasket?
Hi All, Whenever we have a wind, okay, dirt storm out here, dirt gets all over one of my curtains. Upon examining the outside of the windows, I am finding that it is the only window on my house that...
14
14