Subject Author Posted Replies

6' Wood Fence
I am planning to install a wooden fence from the corner of my house to a neighbors fence, a distance of 28.5'. From the corner of the house I have to cross about 15' of a concrete apron. There...
8
8

Help.... fixing faux rock
I live in a house with cement rock as decoration on part of an outside wall and inside around a fireplace. Recently a patch of the 'rock' and mortar both outside and inside have falling off. I...
6
6

Pressure relief valve
What is the purpose of the pressure relief valve that is installed in the water line coming into my house. It is on my side of the water meter. There is some sort of an adjustment on the end of it and...
31
31

Saw Kickback
Fortunately I have not experienced circular saw kickback or chain saw. I have read about it and I am wondering how strong it is, though. I know the answer probably depends on the HP of the saw, the...
20
20

Washers to hold Foam Board
Hi..finishing off my basement and am using sheets of foamboard to cover the concrete. I have used the proper adhesive but in some places where the concrete is not smooth the foam has some loose ares/...
23
23

Tub /Shower Diverter banging.
I hear a banging when I turn on my tub tap. It's a Price Phister model installed in 1996 (by me). The noise occurs at the diverter when the tub fawcett is on.. and stops when I pull the fawcett...
2
2

987 River Drive
A block from my office, I drive by this man's yard. He's obviously a windmill collector. Inside the yard, one can see all kinds of farm stuff. I stopped and talked to him, and he said most of...
2
2

OT - Tax 'advance' loans
I know this is off topic, but as I sit here watching the tube as I catch up on the world's home repair issues, I can't help but wonder - are there THAT many people that are so poor they need...
14
14

Payne furnace
--Payneful furnace-- ------------------------------------- Our Payne gas furnace has developed a frustrating habit of turning off whenever the temperature drops, usually below freezing. The thermostat...
11
11

Meta: long-link test for your news reader
A meta-post: question came up recently here about how newsreaders (the software you're using to read this post) handle long URLs, like this one: using Thunderbird which preserves long URLs without...
34
34

need a replacement float for fuel oil tank gauge
my float on my antique oil tank gauge has become cracked so it no longer floats on the surface. I'd like to replace it because the gauge still works great - giving me a very accurate read -by...
5
5

Info for all about Hot water tanks
Most electric Hot water tanks are guaranteed for 6 years from date of purchase/installation. Calling the customer service line may get you new parts sent at no cost. Hank

Mild rant: 3-way lamp sockets are junk
Recently replaced the light bulb socket on a lamp and the socket has started to go bad only after 6 months. Any one know of a Web source of high quality lamp parts? I was suckered in again by Leviton...
10
10

run furnace without blower?
We have a gas forced-air furnace. The blower v-belt broke tonight. Oops. I'll get one as soon as the stores open; but, in the meantime, in case anyone is up: can I run the furnace w/o the blower,...
32
32

What is the BEST DTV converter?
Goggle reviews there are a few online even consumer reports review has a link online and maybe 15 are reviewed. What I see is the best are not in stores but online. The reviews mainly cover picture...
25
25