Subject Author Posted Replies

whole house humidifiers revisited
I have an Aprile Aire humidifier that uses the flow-thru evaporative metal elements. It uses a huge amount of water throughout the winter. I would like to switch to a spray or mist humidifier. Anyone...
7
7

add neutral bus
I have a GE panel It has room for more circuit breakers than grounding points on the neutral bus. There is room for adding neutral bus below existing bus. Can I do that? If so how do I bond one bus to...
4
4

digital tv
I have a older TV ,time Warner cable goes directly into the TV,no set up box,will I need a digital converter for it.If I call TW ,I know they probably tell me I will need one of there set up box so...
63
63

Connecting PVC to EMT
I have a 1/2" PVC that is from the outside (for outside receptacle and pool light) that comes up to the inside of the exterior wall and I need to connect that to 1/2" EMT to go to the switch. What is...
12
12

Sheetrock question
I am renovating a bathroom and my otherwise excellent carpenter and I have a disagreement. A bunch of sheetrock had to be replaced. Most will be covered with Corian after it is mud up and sanded....
31
31

Electrical circuit puzzle
OK, here's today's electric circuit puzzle: Client wants a new ceiling fan installed. The old one works, they just want a different one up there. No problemo, right? The new fan has a light,...
11
11

Intalling HE3 washer on pedestal
I have an HE3 washer to install on a pedestal. This is what I plan to do... 1. Intall shipping rods on back of washer. 2. Lay the washer on its back. 3. Remove the 4 feet. 4. Put the pedestal in place...
4
4

Environmentally-better paint strippers DO work
In a previous episode I was trying to get a clear coating off a passage lockset. Wasn't coated with lacquer as I had assumed, so lacquer thinner did nothing. Tried my environmentally-friendly...
23
23

Maytag "Touch Control 500" Range Control Panel
We have this 5 year old glass top range with convection oven. The element of the convection oven burnt out and none of the oven elements digital control panel is not operational, it is blank. There...
3
3

$199 Capet Instillation
Both Home Depot and Lowes advertise whole house carpet installation for $199. Has anybody here taken advantage of this? Are there any catches to this other than stairs not included in the price? Did...
16
16

Good Choice of Table Saw for very casual home use ??
I am not a carpenter or even a handyman. The only kind of saw I have owned for 25 years is a skill saw. Even with very casual use, I am still not good at using a skill saw to cut a straight edge on a...
65
65

Now to frame new ceiling
MC- How about running the 2x4 passed the face of the studs into the wall cavity thus creating overlap for nailing? Get out your framing gun & shoot a couple 16d shorts and you're done. cheers Bob
12
12

Rerouting an 1/2" rigid electrical conduit in the attic
All my electrical lines are EMT conduits in the attic. There is a perfect spot in my bathroom I would like to install an exhaust fan but the 1/2" conduit is in the way. It is 4" above the ceiling...
7
7

Using an AC-to-AC wall wart transformer/adapter in reverse
Suppose I have a plug-in transformer that reduces 120VAC power to some lower AC voltage (say 12VAC or 24VAC), and suppose I want to do the reverse---increase a low-voltage source back up to 120VAC....
30
30

Burning methane in furnace
Natural gas is principally methane. Per "Combustion" at: methane combines with sufficient oxygen, producing carbon dioxide (CO2), water, and heat. Carbon monoxide (CO), a poison, is produced as a...
18
18