Subject Author Posted Replies

Tamper-resistant sheet metal screws (Pin type)
McMaster-Carr, MSC, and Grainger industrial supply houses have sheet metal screws that go by the name of "pin-in-hex", "pin-in-torx", "tamperproof", or just plain "security sheet metal screws"...
24
24

Shooting a machine gun in Las Vegas
See the store, if you visit here [?]
5
5

Finish Nail Gun?
Anyone have the 15 gauge Harbor Freight gun? Or other recommendations? Harbor Freight buys their top quality tools from the same factories that supply our competitors. We cut out the middleman and...
25
25

Water Neutralizers Cost
The plumbers have told my grandmother that she needs a self- cleaning water neutralizer. I really have no doubt of this as she has had serious copper corrosion issues, and the plumbers have had her...
8
8

Garage door closing with a clunk
House is about 10 years old and no manual in sight. Suggestions based on experience?? TIA Lou
26
26

Humidifier - Hot vs Cold Water Experiment (2023 Update)
For those of you that followed any of the discussions here about whether using hot water versus cold water in a furnace humidifier makes a difference in the amount of water that evaporates, I did the...
45
45

Propane and electric pump heat questions
Hi, I live in the Boston area and am currently considering purchasing a house that has a combination of electric pump heat and propane heat. Most of the houses I've lived in and seen in the area...
35
35

Does Carbon Monoxide rise or fall?
Why don't you rent a camper and a generator, lay down on the floor and then let us all know the outcome.
31
31

water heater install in nc
I need some advice with a gas water heater install. the old water heater is 28years old. I've done weeks of research on how to install it. the only problem I have is the gas valve next to the...
11
11

I'm saving on oil
Some of you may have seen my discussions about a new heating boiler I started a couple of months ago. My Energy Kinetics System 2000 boiler was installed on Dec. 22. My oil tank was filled four days...
3
3

Degree Days calculator
May be of interest to some of you. I recently did some calculating and comparison of my heating costs over the past couple of years. The proper way is to use degree days to get a comparison based on...
4
4

oil boiler cycling -- too frequent?
Would like a perspective on cycling of an oil boiler. So I replaced a spent Burnham RSA110 steel boiler with a Peerless WBV cast iron boiler. Everything else remained the same -- still three zones,...
20
20

PEX Tips
Are there are tips the collective group can offer to using PEX 3/4 " tubing? I'm using Watts Quik Connect fittings and will be tying into 1/2" copper fixture risers. Thanks.
11
11

Garage Door Woes - The Next Chapter
My problem with the garage door opener not closing has continued for weeks now. The door lowers to about 2/3 of the way down, then reverses. I called one company to repair it. They charged me $85 for...
11
11

Fireplace, hearth and bricks?
Hi experts - I have a house that was built in the 1950s and I would like remove the hearth off of the floor so that my couch can go in it's place. I took the top slab of concrete off of the hearth...
8
8