Subject Author Posted Replies

Simple solar battery charger
Told a guy I'd do some research for him into a small simple solar system for use in maintaining the charge on a 12 volt automotive battery. Found this at Harbor Freight: a 12 volt, 15 watt panel...
25
25

Electricity danger?
When I switch my kettle off at the electric socket, a brief flash of green light is visible behind the socket. Is this normal, or could it be dangerous? Supposedly it's ok if the kettle plug is...
16
16

trimming composite valance for window blinds
I have some new composite plastic-like window blinds that were supplied = with a valance (also composite plastic-like material). The valance looks = like sculpted baseboard moulding. I need to trim...
1
1

Wireless secutity camera info needed
Hi All, I am looking for opinions on wireless secutity cameras. I want ot mount one on my house/garage and be able to view it on my TV. Is that possible? What is the range when hooked-up like I want...
3
3

Front loading washers - any good?
I've had plain old top loaders for years. I know the front loaders are supposed to save water and soap but it seems like all I read about them are horror stories of endless repairs, almost...
33
33

How to keep PVC cement from drying?
I work with PVC irrigation pipes, small jobs at a time. Every time I try to use a previously opened can of cement, it has glued itself shut beyond redemption. I am careful not to get cement on the rim...
14
14

What size capacitor to couple Radio Shack FM Intercom?
I am attempting to use a pair of Radio Shack FM intercoms between the 2 sides of my house wiring. I understand that a high pass coupling capacitor would allow the FM to cross between the lines. What...
16
16

Exhaust vent:
Hi all. Has anyone seen an windproufe, snowproufe bathroom exhaust fan that vents through the roof? I have an roof vent that uses an polysteyrene ball but it sometimes freezes or bounces around in...
19
19

Closing a house in the northeast for the winter.
I'm not sure if I have everything covered. I know I need RV fluid in the drains of the tub, sink, kitchen sink and toilet. I need to drain all the water pipes and baseboard upstairs. What about...
17
17

Mothballing a swimming pool (2023 Update)
Neighboring community announced they will not be opening their municipal swimming pool this summer to save money. They say it costs $100,000 to operate for the season, but they must spend $50K to...
32
32

Special tool needed
I have a rechargeable battery that I want to dissassemble. The screws are a modified hex with a protrusion in the center that I need to remove and don't know where I can find the tool needed....
13
13

A Letter From The Boss....Good One....
I had an architect friend who had a sizeable (100 million + per year) construction company. He shut it down lock, stock and barrel some 30 years ago because of the government hassle. He was making a...
18
18

softener trouble
8 yr old kenmore softener - not softening - ran diagnostics seems fine, water in brine tank, put in brining mode, unplugged and too 6 hrs for about 18 inches of water to drain off. Cleaned everything,...
4
4

jumbled fill under front steps
The front "steps" to our house is a poured concrete thing. (Don't know what to call it---it's really not so much steps (though there are two of those) and more of a raised concrete rectangle a...
5
5

Portico kit?
I live in a neighborhood of mostly Colonials (all built in 1948). Most of them have this little roof thing-ee over the front door; I think it's called a "portico." Is there some kind of kit for...
3
3