Subject Author Posted Replies

How to start with construction of my dream house?
I was wondering if anyone knows of a good resource to find contractors? I have been looking online and all I have seen are sites where you have to describe the job then wait to get called from a...
19
19

Recessed Lights Selection
I have been reading recessed light buyer's guide online and the more I read it the more confusing I get. I understand the difference between IC and NON-IC housing. I will be getting IC housing as...
15
15

Proper Primer on Wood before Gloss Enamel
Painting some wooden signs that are going to have digital prints adherred to it. Sign shop told me to paint them with the "proper primer" and then a "gloss enamel" so that the digital prints will...
8
8

And When the Ceiling Comes Tumbling Down
I got out of the shower and five minutes later, the ceiling in the bathroom fell down in our 108 year old piece of crap house that we moved into a few years back. The ceiling is--uh, was-- plaster and...
21
21

Dryer ducting
The dryer has a duct like this: There is dryer hose at the dryer that connects to 4" duct, which goes vertically down for about, umm 3-4 feet, then a 90, then a run of about 20 feet. I just cleaned...
17
17

So tell me about laser markers/levels
So many times I could have used one. Everyday light duty B&D drill has one built in. It can and has been handy. But I'd like to get a decent one. Trouble is, even the ones that push say $75 (I...
9
9

Locating ceramic tile
I need to replace several broken tiles in my bathroom floor. The tile is ceramic and was installed about twelve years ago. Several tiles have cracked from children jumping up and down on the floor. I...
10
10

Drainage cleaning advice
Hi, Lately I noticed that the drainage from laundry / Kitchen is slow which might be because of residual deposits on inner lining on the pipes. I tried cleaning it with drain solutions and even tried...
4
4

Removing palm tree stump
My son lives in San Diego and asked my advice on removing the stump of a palm tree. So on our last visit, I piled some of my tools in a suitcase, including a hatchet, steel wedges, a small sledge, and...
29
29

What's up with GE kitchen appliences?
I bought a $40 GE brand coffee percolator from Walmart last summer. It seemed to work fine at first, but then after about 8 months it would no longer perk coffee?? It would basically just heat the...
48
48

Gutters & Downs
I'm going to have my house painted. The last guy who gave me a quote looked at my gutters and called them an anachronism. He said that in times when buildings were set on the ground without a...
21
21

Roto-Tiller attachment for lawn tractor
I am planning on having a big garden this year after a couple of decades of not planting anything. I still have my old simplicity (Alis Chalmers) roto-tiller but it hasn't been started in 20 years...
4
4

3M - Tax Credit For Window Film
Tax Credit For Window Film New! - Tax Credit For Window Film The Energy Policy Act of 2005 created federal tax credits for homeowners who make certain energy efficient improvements. On October 3,...
1
1

Cell phone portable charger
Was planning to meet a friend, yesterday. She emailed, to say "cell phone just died, so I won't know if you're running late". Got me to thinking. Opens up an interesting topic. Survival cell...
12
12

Batteries for cordless phones?
We have a very fancy Uniden CLX-485 phone system. While it worked great for 2+ years, the batteries lost their ability to charge. My attempt to buy "generic oem batteries" ended up with garbage...
13
13