Subject Author Posted Replies

My Crumbling Porch
Hi all, I have a crumbing porch. First, a couple of pictures: I have zero experience with concrete, hence the question marks. I'm assuming that I need to chisel/remove the damaged cinder blocks (...
27
27

Paint fumes can harm relationships
"[SILVERDALE, Alaska] A man waiting on a transaction at the jewelry counter told the female employee that he had once been a painter - and that 'the chemicals had fried his brain and he had a hard...
1
1

Cabinet in side wall of stairs
Hi all: I just recently finished an upstairs playroom and associated fully- enclosed staircase. Because of the layout of the stairs, I put a storage cabinet into one of the side walls of the stairs to...
7
7

Electronic pest repellents - how do they work?
Does anyone know how those electronic pest repellents are supposed to work? My grandparents have two different ones at their house to repel ants. The one in the kitchen certainly doesn't do a...
12
12

Toilet blew a fuse
My toilet quit working last night. I checked all the fuses in my fusebox and none of them looked blown. I bought some new fuses and replaced all of them. The toilet still dont flush. Is there a fuse...
7
7

more recessed light dilemma
Well, I planned to have 4 recessed lights over the counter where the sink is...and after opening a few holes in the ceiling, and finding obstructions, I finally gave up. I basically torn down a narrow...
3
3

Stabbing outlets in the back
Apropos recent threads here about "back-stabbed" outlets, a data point: New client, big multi-million-dollar house high up in the Berkeley/Oakland hills, less than 15 years old, very well built,...
8
8

dryer exhaust vent cover
My dryer has a 4" corrugated sheet metal duct that runs to the wall. I had one of those vent cover (which consist of a plastic hood and a flap, connected to a 12" long 4" diameter sleeve, many years...
8
8

Ryobi laser question
I bought a kit # EMM0001, Ryobi laser. Ryobi sent me the manual, but I can't figure out for the life of me how to get it to throw a horizontal line. All it does is throw a vertical one. Did I miss...
3
3

Copper Pipe Question
I've got a basement full of old half-inch copper pipe, and some of it needs to be replaced. I want to do repairs in 3/4" pipe but I'm wondering if that will cause problems with the water...
24
24

Bizarre new fridge noise
Hi. My kitchen refrigerator (GE Hotpoint) started making an odd noise this morning. From a distance, it sounds like a hissing sound; but when you get closer, you can hear that it's actually a...
7
7

Remove cast iron tub intact?
I know the sledgehammer routine for removing tubs is the standard answer but I'd like to remove this one intact. I've got the bathroom down to studs, I've got the bathtub off the floor and...
13
13

After faucet changed water tastes bad. Why?
Hi, Recently I replaced my bathroom vanity and faucet. While I was doing it I replaced some of the copper pipes. Now the water from the faucet tastes bad. I've taken the aerator off and ran the...
5
5

Repairing brick foundation piers
I just bought a house (well, not JUST) in Southern Louisiana with the foundation piers requiring some maintenance and repair. Almost all of them (8" x 24", all brick, approx 18" tall) will require...
3
3

110V and water
I was repairing some landscaping lighting, and when I took the cover off of the outdoor junction box, water came out. Don't know how much was in there, maybe 1/4 to 1/2 cup. I'm guessing it...
30
30