Subject Author Posted Replies

Removing veneer?
Want to refinish a night table. It has a veneer coating which has cracked and chipped. I'd like to get it off. Any suggestions,
5
5

California car insurance asking for odometer reading
I received a form from my car insurance company asking for the odometer readings of our 3 cars. My concern is that this is not going to be representative of our future driving distance. My wife's...
25
25

How to fill hinge and latch recesses
I'm permanently removing a door. How do I fill the recesses that the hinges fitted into? They are about 1/8" deep by 3.25 x 1.25". They will be painted. Can't just smear it with wood filler,...
9
9

Plumbing - How to calculate nipple length
I'm replacing the natural gas shutoff valve to my water heater with a 1/2" ball valve with a red handle. The existing valve is 2.0" long; the replacement one is 2-1/4", which means that one of the...
13
13

shifting toilet seat
can someone please please tell me how to stop a toilet seat from shifting all over the place when you sit down, very uncomfortable feeling. We have tried replacing the seats but it still happens....
14
14

Poor economy hurting HOAs
"Assessment payments are as low as 50 percent in some communities, causing some board members to consider [extraordinary measures]." Some HOAs may even go bankrupt. Please join me in a moment of...
11
11

Not allowed to paint squirrel orange
Man catches squirrel stealing from his bird feeder and takes it far away. This happens several times. But was it the SAME squirrel? "He was at his wits' end, and he was giving the squirrel his...
6
6

Wax Ring Installation
The Fluidmaster wax ring I bought has a black funnel-looking piece of plastic that extends into the waste pipe. The instructions say to press it onto the horn outlet of the toilet bowl. Why would this...
5
5

T-103 wiring problem
I have bit of a problem installing the Intermatic T-103 timer on my pool pump. I have tried the hot wire from the breaker box on terminal #1 with the neutral on #3 and those going to the pump on #2...
4
4

Looking at buying a flat roof house
I am looking at a house for sale that has a flat top roof. I don't know anything about these types so that is my biggest hesitation for this purchase. I haven't been up there yet so I...
15
15

Stabilizing Toilet
My bathroom floor is tile over concrete. The house is settling and the slab has a few cracks so I understand why the toilet is no longer steady. Its shifting caused a leak in the water riser tube so I...
2
2

outlet with push-in wire connection
I've read on this group many times about problems with those push-in wire connectors, and now have experienced it firsthand. Had an outlet in the kitchen that developed a problem where the power...
7
7

Fence over underground wiring
I would like to put a fence up at the back of my yard, but it would need to go in over existing underground high voltage wires. Not the usual 220V but the main underground lines to the local...
1
1

Shed project: slab reinforcement
I'm building a shed. Part one is complete, preparing the site for a slab; it's leveled, graveled and framed. We're thinking to do the pour later this week. A friend of mine, who does...
11
11

Building steps
My friend is building some new concrete steps to his back porch. He has some old chevy blocks , brake drums and general automotive iron he wants to get rid of . If these items are clean of fluids is...
55
55