15A outlets on 20A circuits

They do exist: http://www.mcfeelys.com/product/0610-FN/6-32-x-1quot-Nylon-Switchplate-Screws

I didn't say they didn't exist - just that they were so uncommon I never saw one.

Yes, I've seen and used plastic plate screws too.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Far as I know, a switch doesn't need to be "self grounding". The NEC just requires metal screws and a grounded metal box. (Receptacles that use the mounting screws must be "self grounding".)
If I remember right, the argument was that you might have a plastic plate now, but someone could install a metal plate in the future.
--
bud--

Good catch

Ground screws come on switches because there are a variety of ways to ground equipment, and some methods do require a ground screw. FYI in the 50's and 60's all wiring wasn't in metal. As early as the 20's wiring was available with or without a metal jacket, just as it is today. The conductor insulation has and continues to be improved as better materials become available.

I believe he was saying nobody had ever died from HIS terribly dangerous and inadequate garage wiring. However, the fact that he allowed the garage to collapse before repairing the water leaks and rewiring the garage doesn't say an awfull lot for his analytic capacity or his maintenance regimen!!!!
On Wed, 13 Oct 2010 16:08:59 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Hey, I bought the place like this. It was vacant for nearly 20 years, the house was collapsed and I had to get a used trailer house until I built an actual house. The house was priority over the garage, and the following winter the roof fell, along with many other buildings in my area from heavy snow. There is only one remaining building now, a small barn (not including the 8 feet of old garage wall). This property was sold as "Farm Land" (no buildings), because they considered none of the old buildings salvagable. Well, I did salvage the old barn anyhow, and reused the garage foundation (cement floor). Plus I got a good well.
Do you bang on the steering wheel when stopped at traffic lights?
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

I read it too fast too. Ooops.

The refrigerator should NOT be on a GFI. Let me repeat that, do NOT put the fridge on a GFI. If it trips, the fridge goes dead and the food spoils.
I've found that 12 ga wire won't go into the back stabs of 15 amp sockets. Which is a good thing. Helps keep people from using heavy loads on cheap sockets.
The more pricey 15 amp sockets, the screw tightens two pieces of metal to grab the wire. These, I like. If you're plugging and unplugging frequently, I'd use the $2 sockets, not the 50 cent sockets.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

The outlets will be for stuff that will always be plugged in such as fridge, microwave/range hood, and the outlets inside the wall cabinets ( for the undercabinet lighting).
Should work fine on the cheaper outlets. Please wrap the wire around the screw, and snug down. Back stab cheap outlets are problem waiting to happen.
The one "high demaned" place for outlets is hallway in church. Weekly vacuum cleaner plug in and out.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

On 10/12/2010 3:55 PM N8N spake thus:

So you like those "vintage" cover plates too? I've got a big box full of 'em, gleaned mostly from a local recycled-goods store. (I assume you're talking about the old ivory plastic plates with various molded designs). So much better looking than those boring new plastic ones.

Actually the ones I used were the pressed brass ones; they have a nice patina and also the bevels are super crisp unlike the ones you can buy today.
I know what you're talking about though, I remember those and would prefer those to new as well.
nate