Subject Author Posted Replies

condenser unit sweating
I have an central A/C condenser unit in the basement that is sweating and water is dripping onto the floor. Will more insulation help? Currently, I have turned off the A/C and just running the blower...
14
14

CFLs that start out bright
Just a small data point to throw into the ongoing discussion/argument/fight over CFLs here. One of the oft-heard complaints about them is that they take a long time to achieve full brightness. I...
7
7

Loose fence post
I have a loose fence post that I would like to fix. This happens to be one that has a gate attached to it, so it would be nice if this particular fence post is level. The fence post is a regular metal...
9
9

Asphalt Driveway Question
My neighbor is having his asphalt driveway re-done. His old driveway was full of cracks, and he assumed that the cracks were from freezing and thawing and that probably the foundation under the...
11
11

Can I use a clothes iron in place of "seam iron" on carpet?
I have a small run of wall-to-wall carpet that I want to join along a seam in a hallway -- maybe 3 feet across. I purchased some carpet heat bond tape at the Borg. Can I use an old clothes iron to...
14
14

new lighting standards
It looks like this guy, obama, is a dictator, not a president. What does he know about lighting standards? Is anyone else fed up with the government trying to take care of us and protect us by not...
23
23

Central Air Unit Not Cooling House
I have 2 units- one upstairs and one downstairs- The upstairs is blowing- I feel the air blowing- the thingamabob outside (can't think of the name) is operating, but no cold air. I did notice that...
14
14

OT--USB turntable
Looking to buy my brother something to record his old vinyl collection onto a computer. A local store has a closeout sale on Ion USB turntables for $75 each. As a technical weakling, I'm...
26
26

Quarter Horse motor
Motors come 'on the hoof'. But some run one way round and others run the other way round. So you will need a quarter horse that can run in the right direction. Make sure you get the right saddle in...
4
4

Replacement window air conditioner is weak
A 14 year old Sharp window air conditioner rated at 10,000 BTU/hr was recently replaced with a much more efficient 12,000 new Sharp window unit. The replacement was motivated by the higher energy...
18
18

Questions about building a wooden gate
Am wanting to build a double gate made of treated wood - 2x4's and 1x6 x6'. have a 10' opening, so 2 - 5' sections. I think these gates will be a bit heavy, so I am wondering if I...
10
10

Really WEIRD electrical problem
Sorry this is so long but I need to describe the whole thing. After an electrical storm, one of the kitchen GFIs was tripped. Everything was unplugged from all receptacles on the circuit. When the GFI...
9
9

Wather station
My Zephyr weather station arrived today. PWS1000-TDx The "x" model is much cheaper because of a blemish on the bezel. I can find a spot the size of a pin head that is not perfect if I really look...
29
29

Bats (and I don't mean baseball)
Getting bats out of your attic is simple. Just before it gets dark, they will leave the house to spend the night eating. Stand outside and watch for them to leave to house to see where the holes are...
8
8

Garden windows
I want to install a small garden window. I'm seeking one that has a clear roof, good insulation on all sides, is well built, and allows enough light through to grow seedlings and plants. I found a...
9
9