Subject Author Posted Replies

Main breaker location
A friend has a breaker box with Cutler Hammer breakers. in a 125 Amp box I saw some 20 and 40 amp breakers but no main breaker. One of them is BR2020 for the 20 amp breaker. Where is the main breaker...
24
24

Steel roof installed over battens
My new steel roof was screwed directly to the battens without decking. I've got one gable vent and a new turbine vent. I hear that condensation can be an issue. Can anyone tell me what the options...
4
4

Window Sill tiles scratched with carborundum stone
The tiled window sill on the front of our house had been painted years ago and the paint was peeling off. So although a long job I patiently scraped off all the paint. Then discovered that a couple...
13
13

Honda Generaor Maintenance question?
Gents; I have a Honda ES6500 generator which is/has been serving me very well for many years. Yesterday I was doing routing maintenance and noticed that the oil level was low. Therefore I filled it up...
3
3

Mortar is the natural enemy of pipes
In upgrading an outside faucet, I twisted the pipe holding the faucet into a shattered mess! WTF? The 1/2" galvanized pipe exits the plumbing supply through a brick wall and the pipe exit was packed...
22
22

Dumped Peroxide on lawn
Hydrogen peroxide decomposes quickly when dirty. It becomes oxygen and plain water during the bleaching action. Your peroxide was quite potent, but you can plant now.
16
16

Cleaning a steel roof
I have a new charcoal colored Galvalume 26-gauge steel roof on my house. I was wondering if I should expect some fading of the color over time. Will chalking occur? Do these roofs sometimes need a...
5
5

dual 3-way dimmers
I helped a friend with his 3-way switches today. He has two 3-way dimmers that used to work to dim one light. He removed the one light and added six recessed lights, but all should work the same....
4
4

Creating dead zone around AC unit
My central air conditioning unit is located in a spot where the eaves are so deep that even after lots of rain, it's still bone dry, but bindweed finds the area delightful and it's eating my...
30
30

Free Whirlpool washer parts
I have some parts I scavenged from my Whirlpool washer before I hauled it to the scrapyard. It had a failed transmission, not worth fixing, but the rest of the parts were working. The washer was a...
1
1

How to install a High Efficiency Furnace
Condensate drain. Some come with a specialized thermost. The Rheem Contours I've installed, they need their own stat, and five conductor thermostat wire.
5
5

Plastic (JUNK) Water Pumps
I wouldn't buy anything with plastic threads on it, if I have a choice. It's just common sense.
2
2

Hot Water Plumbing Problems
Hey there. So we have an old home (1902) that is 3 stories. We currently have a tenant in our ground floor apartment. She just informed me that she is unable to get the hot water to come out of the...

inspection camera
I need to buy a inspection camera for my business -- electrical and plumbing. Sometimes, I need to see inside walls for electrical wiring. Sometimes, I need to see inside the first few feet of a...
16
16

Scaffold question
I have to span 13'. Regular scaffold staging won't work in this case. Would a 14' - 2 X 12 plank support my 200 lbs? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks, Gary
9
9