Subject Author Posted Replies

Hot-cold water color
My neighbor and I live in double wides - they have electric HW heaters and all piping is plastic. Both heaters are not the originals as we had to replace them some time back. He drained his heater the...
6
6

Kenmore Elite 795.7519 fridge. Leaking water reservoir. FIXED!
If you recall from last weekend, I asked this group how to remove the hoses from a refrigerator water reservoir since something in the system was leaking all over the door. In the process of trying to...
1
1

New window installation question
I am about to add a new vinyl window to an existing exterior garage wall. The inside of the garage wall is now just open studs, but I will be adding insulation to the wall and then sheetrock. The...
4
4

Travertine Epoxy Repair ?
I have 2000 sq. ft. of Travertine flooring. Over the past 20 years I have taken care of shallow defects and pits with Travertine colored epoxy. I assume that it is made from the Travertine "dust" left...

New Dishwasher Problem: Thoughts On ?
Hello, Just got a new KitchenAid Dishwasher. Will obviously get their installer back, but thought I would also ask here, as most of you folks seem to be expewrts in most everything. Does a miserable...
5
5

Screwing a hardwood shelf to a concrete wall?
Greetings everyone I have this shelf, [URL= need some way of attaching it to my wall, which is made out of concrete. Would I be able to pull this off with just drilling some L brackets between the top...
11
11

Turning off HW heater while on vacation, lower T-stat or just leave pilot on?
I'm going away for a week and I wanted to put my gas HW heater in "vacation mode". In the past I noticed that even if I turn down the T- stat dial, it still comes on, although the water temp is...
22
22

electrolytic derusting with galvanized plates
Hi, Just cleaned my table saw extension wings by electrolytic derusting with spectacular results. But, I used galvanized ducts for metal plates so I am wondering if the zinc produced a toxic mixture...
7
7

Closed cell foam: 3" as good as 6"?
Hi, Just received a quote for roof insulation with closed cell foam between the rafters. The quote is for 3" and I am being told that 3" is 90% as good as 6". Do I believe them? Thanks, Aaron
16
16

help with removing faucet
Hi, Any advice on using basin wrench/break away spray to get the mounting nuts off an old sink? TNT? I can't see how they would get these things on that tight to begin with, they are so recessed....
5
5

RANT: About Ray-O-Vac batteries!
In the past (and when on sale) I would buy ROV batteries...and they would always fail prematurely for me. Then I would think to myself, how could a big company still be in business that made a faulty...
49
49

Replacing anode rods in water heaters?
Does it make practical sense to preemptively replace anodes in working water heaters in order to extend their lives? Is it better to just wait until leaking begins? Bill
39
39

Water sprayer
Need something, one or two galons. That I can pump up and rinse dust out of equipment. Compressed air doesn't clean well enough. Gotta be water. The garden sprayers from the store are the right...
12
12

blowing dust off screens
I have a cheap Sears 3-gallon air compressor. It has worked fine for inflating tires. I would like to rig up a tool for cleaning window screens by blowing the dust off them with compressed air. I am...
13
13

OT: Woman's House Mistakenly Auctioned by Bank
[Homestead, FL] You know times are tough when people are getting kicked out of their house when it?s not even for sale. That?s what happened to Anna Ramirez after she found all of her stuff out on the...
7
7