Subject Author Posted Replies

Skunks breeding next door
The house next to mine is abandoned and skunks are living under the rotten deck, or perhaps even inside the house. I don't care about that, but now my back deck smells of skunk when the wind blows...
24
24

Tent Caterpillers?
Lovely. The neighbors tree is badly infested. We use an umbrella to walk in my back yard just now. Any ideas?
17
17

Leaking toilet/cartridge replacement
I've got a toilet with a "pressure-assist" tank. Instead of just water filling the tank, there's a self-contained unit in the tank. It's been leaking from the actual flushing mechanism. It...
2
2

Is your heater working?
Reminder. It was cool here last night so I fired up the heating system for just a few minutes to be sure it is working. Check batteries in the thermostat if you have them Now is the time to check it...
6
6

Repainting wood doors
Our bedrooms have solid oak doors, painted white. The boys beat the hell out of them in their younger years, now it's time to get them looking good again. I was going to fill all the dings with...
9
9

Removing cast iron pipe gasket
I have a cast iron sewer pipe riser that is 4". the top of it is a hub, inside the hub is a rubberised gasket (I think some calls it a donut). Inserted into this donut is a metal cylinder adapter with...
6
6

How do I remove the seat part of an office chair from its support post?
I have a couple 5-year-old inexpensive office chairs(same make/model) in my house. On one of them, the seat back has been broken for several years, so it just flops loosely and offers no support. On...
9
9

New installation trouble
I am installing a new low voltage outdoor lighting system. There are 5 x 20w spot fixtures and one Malibu Lighting 200W transformer. After installing the 5 lights, I laid out the 12-2 supply. The...
7
7

Fake bamboo tile on top of vinyl?
I am so sick of my aged white vinyl tile in bathroom! It's not worn or cracked; just crummy-looking with some staining where an idiot dropped nailpolish and didn't tell me right away! Paint...
5
5

OT: TV cuts off 1/5 pic on each side
Friends don't let friends sign up for Verizon FIOS! They advertise out the *** their $99 package for TV, Internet, and Phone, but don't know what they're doing. After trying customer...
5
5

natural gas detector?
Anyone used the inficon 706-600-G1? According to spec it seems more sensitive than average. Unfortunately I could not find any user review. I was in my crawl space and I thought I smelled some natural...
4
4

extension cords
Got into a box of extension cords today. Found an old outside 110 2 wire one. Is there any reason to keep this??? What can you do with 110v 2 wire extension cords?
13
13

Gum in dryer
Left a stick of gum in shirt pocket, washed the shirt, and ran it through dryer. As expected, the shirt was a bit of a mess, but the gum also left a dark residue in small blotches scattered all over...
10
10

Inexpensive flooring
I've got 600 sq ft of flooring to do in my basement. The flooring will go over the dricore panels. The basement is dry. I'll likely be moving in 5 years or so. I was thinking of using the...
7
7

Adding a switch to an outdoor GFI outlet
I have a GFI outlet on an external wall, next to an outside door. On the inside wall of that door, I have a switch for the outside light, and that switch is a little over 3' from the GFI outlet...
3
3